lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
stickerpeckout
Not Yet Wild

Default Here's a video, what's wrong

Hey guys.
Yesterday my neighbor came and got me to see if i could help get her daughter home on their golf cart. She broke down about a half mile from the house and as she was riding the cart slowed to a turtle's pace/

I checked everything I know to check and couldn't get it right. The cart still goes and I drove it VERY slowly the half mile home.
ALl i know about it is it's an EZ-GO......I took a video of what it's doing.

I'm a Club Car owner so I have no experience with EZ-GOs but I'm sure there isn't much difference. Please if Anyone could watch the video and just see what it does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMJnxXI1ALc
stickerpeckout is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Here's a video, what's wrong?????

it's not running, that's just the starter/generator turning it over.

looks like a kawasaki engine by the exhaust crossing over the motor like that, so guessing it's a newer ez-go.

silly question maybe, but does it have gas?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
stickerpeckout
Not Yet Wild

yes, full of gas.
do you think fuel pump may have went out?
what is best way to check if so?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Pull the fuel line off of the carburetor and stick it into a jar. Press the pedal and spin the engine over. You should have a pretty steady flow of fuel.

Also pull the spark plug out, and set it against one of the valve cover bolts and spin the engine. You should see a fat blue spark.

Try those 2 things and let us know what you've got
Old 10-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
stickerpeckout
Not Yet Wild

seems to be getting fuel just fine.
even sprayed carb cleaner into carb and got nothing.
spark on plug is not blue. very weak, yellowy orange color. tried a different spark plug and same results.
maybe ignition coil?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Here's a video, what's wrong

If spark plug is correct one, and spark is consistent but its yellow, then it's a failing ignition coil.

These are the ones that people will use one of those cheap spark testers and say "it's got spark". But when you actually look at the color.of the spark, it's not hot enough to ignite the air/fuel mixture.

Make 1000% sure to get a genuine Kawasaki ignition coil. Aftermarket ones cost just as much but are of very poor quality and will fail quickly.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
stickerpeckout
Not Yet Wild

okay! thank you for all your help!
Old 10-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Please be VERY CAREFUL when you "test" the spark of your ignition. This is usually done via pull the plug, leave it hooked up to the plug wire, hold plug against block and crank the engine over.

True story: At a local golf course the maintenance guy was working on a gas cart. When he went to test the spark all these events came together at a very bad time. The young man was leaning over to test the spark. The engine cranked over but the cylinder had been at the bottom stroke and full of air\gas. When he cranked it over he happened to be inhaling a breath at the same time. The spark went off as the air\gas mixture was tossed out of the plug hole. The spark ignited the fuel and the flame went all the way down into his lungs.

Poor guy passed away quickly.

Just be careful.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
stickerpeckout
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Please be VERY CAREFUL when you "test" the spark of your ignition. This is usually done via pull the plug, leave it hooked up to the plug wire, hold plug against block and crank the engine over.

True story: At a local golf course the maintenance guy was working on a gas cart. When he went to test the spark all these events came together at a very bad time. The young man was leaning over to test the spark. The engine cranked over but the cylinder had been at the bottom stroke and full of air\gas. When he cranked it over he happened to be inhaling a breath at the same time. The spark went off as the air\gas mixture was tossed out of the plug hole. The spark ignited the fuel and the flame went all the way down into his lungs.

Poor guy passed away quickly.

Just be careful.
jeez, that's absolutely terrible. thanks for the heads up
Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
stickerpeckout
Not Yet Wild

i've attached a photo of the engine tag.
having trouble finding a coil and info on how to change the coil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1498.jpg (204.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO