lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
BauerHaus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO 2 cycle. Turns over, won’t start.

Hi folks. New member here. A few months ago I bought what appears to be a 1988/89 EZGO 2 cycle. First cart I’ve ever owned. I asked the owner what ratio he mixed, as I noticed there wasn’t an injection pump on it. 50:1 was his reply. He had only owned it about a year and that’s what the guy he bought it from told him. I brought it home, and it ran fine.
I was reading on this forum what the mix ratio should be, and saw a few conflicting views, but most consensus was factory was 128:1.
So, I mixed some gas at the 128:1 ratio and added it to the 1/4 full tank of 50:1, and ran it a little for a couple of days. Well, after those couple of days, I was riding and all of a sudden, it started spitting and sputtering, and I turned around and limped home. After sitting for a bit, tried to start it, and it would turn over but never crank.
I ended up draining all that gas out, got fresh non- ethanol gas, and mixed back to the 50:1 ratio, new plug, all new fuel lines and filter as they were pretty bad, cleaned the air filter. Jacked up the rear wheels and she started and ran great.
Fast forward a couple of months, and was riding in the yard for a bit, pulled it back into the shed, and parked it for a few hours. Went back out, and turns over, won’t crank. It would run with choke halfway, but quit running when the choke was off. Will crank with starting fluid sprayed in the air intake. Compression is around 120. Tried spraying starter fluid around the crank seal area. Won’t crank.
Bought a new exact replacement carb from Amazon (Yingshop 21740-G1), set the needle out a turn and half, and still won’t crank. I also drained the gas again, and put a fresh mixture of 50:1.
I am no mechanic, and am buffaloed by this. Anything I have missed?
Could the new carb be defective? Could the crank seals still be the culprit?
You guys really know your stuff....any help would be most appreciated.
Sorry for the long post, but wanted to make sure I had the full story.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1E54D5B0-CBA6-434D-8A96-AFED20C2DF75.jpg (21.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 433B2E4C-25BC-4678-B351-8658F59295F5.jpg (21.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by BauerHaus; 12-15-2019 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: I also have pulled the exhaust pipe to make sure there was no blockage in the manifold.
BauerHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO 2 cycle. Turns over, won’t start.

There are so many things to talk about, I'm not sure where to start.

Your cart is an 88 with the 2pg engine. The bigger carb with the vertical choke combined with your muffler give it 11 horsepower. Your manual is below.

I believe you are dealing with multiple problems. Changing your ratio was just a coincidence. It did not cause any problems. I believe the biggest issue is a clogged muffler from running 50:1 for such a long time. Loosen the exhaust at the muffler, and see what happens. Look up muffler barbecue. 128:1 is the correct mixture.

Your original carburetor probably needs a good cleaning. I would also open the fuel pump to see what it looks like. New carbs are hit, and miss. Mostly miss.

I would also run a healthy dose of SeaFoam to clean all of the built up carbon on top of the piston.
Read about fuel pumps. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1988 EZGO Marathon Owner's Manual.pdf (6.82 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
New carbs are hit
I think you forgot an "s" in there somewhere
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
BauerHaus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

CP241

cart around, thanks for this info. I failed to mention, I did run Seafoam the first time around when I replaced the plug, fuel filter, etc. I did NOT try to start it, when I was checking the exhaust manifold port, though. Will do as you suggested today or tomorrow. The fuel pump thing intrigues me, as it does pump fuel out of the hose when disconnected from the carb, but maybe not enough. Will most likely get a new fuel pump also.

Thanks again. I'll report here, when I have looked into these suggestions.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
BauerHaus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I was able to pull the pipe loose from the muffler, and still no crank. I also took the fuel pump off and apart, and the diaphragms all look like new, like someone may have recently rebuilt it.
But, tonight with a light beaming down on my work area, I saw what looks like a fine mist coming from the area where the carb bolts to the manifold, whever I choke it and it cranks for a few seconds. I made sure the bolts were tight, and I had put a new gasket on when I replaced the carb. Still happening. Very fine mist, and it doesn't "puddle" or settle on anything, and I don't even smell gas when it happens. Weird.
Wondering if there is a pinhole/hairline crack either in the intake or in the new carb. I'm going to remove all that and inspect the best I can. Probably order another carb, and install it.
I'm about to give up.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I have been thinking about this. Closing the choke reduces the amount of air. The engine could be sucking excess air from a leak. Maybe at the carb. Maybe at the seals, or even the case line split.

Is there a metal plate between the carburetor, and the manifold? The 87, and older carts have it to mount the choke cable. Your choke is different, so I don't know.

If it has the plate, two gaskets are required.

I was really hoping it was a clogged exhaust.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
BauerHaus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

No plate between the carb and intake. This one has a stud/nut on one side, and an Allen head bolt on the other. Pretty difficult to get a good "bite" on the Allen head bolt. If/when I take this all off, I am going to replace it with a stud/nut.
Saying this to say, possibly it's just not tight enough on the bolt side......
Old 12-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
BauerHaus
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, better late than never. I ended up ordering a new carb, which is to be delivered tomorrow. Thought I’d get a jump on pulling the “defective” one off the cart today. Pulled it off and noticed the gasket was not aligned up over the bolt hole, on the side that has a bolt. Mist issue solved. Put it on correctly, put the “defective” carb back on, and it cranks and runs better than ever. User issue solved. Feel like an idiot, but glad it’s over. I’ll send the new carb back, unopened.....
Thanks for all y’all’s help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO