lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
pineclone
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986, drive belt sticking

Hi all. I have an '86 (i think) gas ezgo marathon. The belt has recently started "sticking" in the drive clutch during the starting process. When you start the golf cart, the belt should spin freely around the drive clutch shaft. Instead, the belt is sticking and the cart lunges forward when starting.

So, after some playing around with things, I decided that the belt wasn't sitting high enough in the driven clutch (which i have never replaced). There were also a couple of other things that led me to believe that it might be the driven clutch. So i ordered and installed a new one. Problem not fixed!

Now i'm thinking that maybe the problem is the drive clutch, and that maybe the clutch isn't opening the full distance to allow the belt to spin freely. I have replaced this clutch in the past (it is a comet), but that was probably 10 years ago.

Thoughts? Thanks much!
pineclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986, drive belt sticking

How wide is the belt? 1 3/16" is new. Less than an inch is junk.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
pineclone
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
How wide is the belt? 1 3/16" is new. Less than an inch is junk.
Pretty sure the belt is fine, but i wouldn't guarantee it isn't the issue. It is definitely greater than an inch. I measured the width of my buddy's cart belt (he has the same cart) and they were the same. I seem to recall that they were about 1 1/8.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
pineclone
Not Yet Wild

Follow up question...

So, i replaced the driven clutch and still had the same issue. Stupid on my part as i should have been able to diagnose this issue. I have a new drive clutch arriving today and hopefully that will fix the problem. And when all is said and done, i'll have two brand new clutches (i could have returned the new driven clutch...but decided to just keep it).

Any suggestions on what to do with the old clutches? Is there anyone out there who rebuilds them? I hate to throw them in the recycle bin. I guess i could keep the driven clutch since it actually works.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

So, two new clutches. Think I'd go ahead and get a new belt too, they're cheap enough and it'd all be new.... Btw, are you using the Comet 94c drive clutch or a better style? The only reason I ask is I've had bad luck with the 94c, the other 102/108 style will perform better and last a lot longer.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
pineclone
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
So, two new clutches. Think I'd go ahead and get a new belt too, they're cheap enough and it'd all be new.... Btw, are you using the Comet 94c drive clutch or a better style? The only reason I ask is I've had bad luck with the 94c, the other 102/108 style will perform better and last a lot longer.
I'm not sure what the old one is...it is a comet though. Its lasted a while. The dust cover disappeared about a year ago and maybe that hastened its demise. The new one coming in the mail is a Nivel. Hopefully i haven't gone wrong.

Thanks!!

Tags
clutch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO