lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #11
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 ezgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjl View Post
Thanks for the picture Trig. I made a homemade one today and put on a par car that I had been battling for some time. I let my son drive it for 9 holes and it never backfired. I think he had it backfiring every hole yesterday. Im making up one of these things up and sticking one every two stroke I see from now on, whether it thinks it needs it or not!

Super cool, glad you like the idea. Where are you finding the springs? Just in case Trigs doesn't come with one we'll all need to come up with one that'll work
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #12
newtjl
Gone Wild

I think my spring came off a governor cable for a Par Car. Im not 100% sure of that though. It was long enough that I cut it in half. I found a washer that would fit well over the end to keep it in place. I keep a lot of old miscellaneous parts and carbs around just for cases like this. Im sure a similar size spring off anything would work fine.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ok Thanks, I was hoping not to have to look through my junk for one LOL. Even though I'd bet I have a few that could work............Somewhere
Old 06-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #14
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I got the cable yesterday and it was new still in original EZGO package. The problem was the retaining sleeve #21 in picture was broke. Broke pieces were still in package. Probably got broke in shipping.

I started to send it back but that meant waiting another 2 weeks before I could get another so I removed the one from old cable and used it. I hope it works as it seemed to snap on fine. Had to slide new cable from housing but I was able to do that ok as it was not frayed on end like old one.

There was no spring in package and it had never been opened. The plastic package looked like it had sit on someones shelf for years .

Now if I don't use some sort of spring which I couldn't find last night I will have to guess because if I put the cable all the way it is too long. I also didn't have but one nut and it was late and I didn't check to see if it was metric or not. No nuts come with new cable or spring
I am assuming when the manual said to adjust spring until 1/2 inch is achieved then I need only 1/2 inch of threads left on the engine side ? Is that correct or am I goofy lol I know it can't be sticking through very far or things get in a bind.
I may have to put things back without spring. I don't have one and really don't want to look all day for one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broke part.jpg (169.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cable package.jpg (94.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg new cable1.jpg (204.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cable adjust.jpg (246.9 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #15
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Well that all sucks, not only broken but no spring or nut. I don't believe that's an OEM part, it's got to be an aftermarket cobble that's more of a universal fit for other models/years even though it says for 88 only. I really don't understand it, I'm sure the one on my friends 88 doesn't have any threads at all. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll have to look at it again.......

If you don't want to try and find a spring then I would install it like my 85. Use two nuts to secure it and Cart Around idea of a pen spring between lever and cable stop, Good Luck Trig
Old 06-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Well that all sucks, not only broken but no spring or nut. I don't believe that's an OEM part, it's got to be an aftermarket cobble that's more of a universal fit for other models/years even though it says for 88 only. I really don't understand it, I'm sure the one on my friends 88 doesn't have any threads at all. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll have to look at it again.......

If you don't want to try and find a spring then I would install it like my 85. Use two nuts to secure it and Cart Around idea of a pen spring between lever and cable stop, Good Luck Trig
It may not be OEM but had an ezgo number on it like the ones I would order when I last worked . I can make it work.
I had to stop at Home Depot a little while ago and while I was looking for something else there hangs an assortment of compression springs right in front of me. Maybe my luck will be better today
I will give one a try. Still not 100% sure what the 1/2 inch dimension setting is but I will look at one more time. I don't stay on anything long enough to read

Wonder how long the OEM spring was. I do know this cart backfired
Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #17
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I found a parts manual today at my shop.
The throttle cable nuts are 1/4 inch SAE. I reached in my bolt bin and of all things I got a metric nut by mistake so I was confused about the size. 1/4 inch fits prefect.
Not sure if I am going to use a spring. I tried one and it went off to one side. Without knowing what diameter or length it would be just a guess so I may just forget that and put it on.
Maybe someone can use this parts manual of this area of cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg control cables.jpg (188.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle cable spring and parts.jpg (199.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-06-2020, 11:44 PM   #18
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That spring wasn't my idea. I learned that on here many years ago. I'm just the current keeper of the knowledge waiting for the next keeper to show up.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:08 AM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
That spring wasn't my idea. I learned that on here many years ago. I'm just the current keeper of the knowledge waiting for the next keeper to show up.
How would you adjust it cart around without the spring which I ain't using ? Manual shows adjustment with spring.
I just can't have the threaded part of throttle cable sticking too far into bracket. Maybe sticking through 3/4th of an inch and lock the nuts together.
Its no big deal as I can try a few adjustments.
I am not a fan of this type throttle set up but it was made that way and I got to get it adjusted without it hanging and not using the spring.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:18 AM   #20
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I have never seen an outer sleeve made to move like that. I have always locked down the outer sleeve and had nothing but the inner cable moving. I then slide the cable through the throttle lever slip a pen spring on the cable and install the ferrule. I hold the throttle closed, squish the spring and lock it down with the ferrule. As long as the throttle opens all the way when the pedal is pressed, it's good to go. If not, you have to play with it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO