lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
pruffos@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart only gets going on hill

I have a 1983 Yamaha G1 golf cart and recently found that it runs, but will only get going and take off if it's on a downhill slope or if someone pushes it.
Any thoughts ?

Thanks
pruffos@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cart only gets going on hill

Make sure the clutches are functioning properly. These carts are now 35/40 years old and a lot of them have never been serviced or have sat for a long time and the clutches are full of dirt and old grease. The G1 is a great robust cart when it's in good working order.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Make sure the clutches are functioning properly. These carts are now 35/40 years old and a lot of them have never been serviced or have sat for a long time and the clutches are full of dirt and old grease. The G1 is a great robust cart when it's in good working order.

If the engine is revving up but not going anywhere, I would suspect a bad belt or clutch issue.

If the engine is not revving up, I would suspect an engine condition issue, possibly crank seals or low compression issue. Fuel and spark also suspect.

Basic maintenance is key to keeping any vehicle running well. What has been done maintenance wise?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
pruffos@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

I checked the compression and it was around 115, which seems a little low, but I think it's okay. I read normal is between 120-130. I also installed a new fuel pump. Now it runs and runs fast, but still is hesitant to get going at first without a little manual assistance. It was also smoking like crazy ! Still not sure why I have to be on a hill or manually help to first get it going. And I know the belt is new, so I guess I'll check the clutch next ??
Old 06-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Are you saying it is not spinning fast enough to start or starts and revs but does not move?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
pruffos@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

I would starts & revs, but doesn't go anywhere unless I manually give it a little push with my feet or if I'm on a hill. Then it runs great
Old 07-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #7
Go4snypr
Not Yet Wild

First off, are you sure the gas engine is running when this happens or just the electric starter motor? If it is running, I would look at belt width or clutch condition,
Go4snypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #8
Go4snypr
Not Yet Wild

Belt should be minimum 27mm. Dirt build-up in the clutch or worn clutches could be issues as well
Go4snypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:23 AM   #9
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My guess is one of three things:
1. Crank seals
2. Crank seals
3. Crank seals
Mine had me beating my head against the wall fear a year. See my old thread “ G1 only starts on level ground”. On smooth pavement, or downhill, it ran fine. Put on another full sized male, or park in deep grass, or uphill slope, etc...it’ll spin up but just won’t catch. After replacing coil, carb, fuel pump, etc... I finally replaced the crank seals and it jack rabbits from a dead stop, uphill, with two people, in tall grass...
I believe I also posted a thread on building a $20 crank seal tool.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #10
pruffos@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thanks for all the advice. I was going to try re-building the clutch, but maybe I should try the crank seals 1st !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha