lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default G1 additional replacements?

I am getting ready to replace the crank seals in my old G1. While I am in the process of tearing into the motor are there any other parts I should just go ahead and replace? Without going crazy or getting into anything too costly, I might as well check and replace whatever I can. Keep in mind I am in no way a professional mechanic. Working on these carts is all new to me. I learn as I go. I don't want to risk screwing something up so " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule applies please let me know. I appreciate all this advice. I know I ask a lot of questions.
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 additional replacements?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.....that pretty much answers your own question doesn't it? Only you know what's broke on your cart.

With that said, a good basic tune up is never a bad thing.

Did you read the G1 sticky section?

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=76176

slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:16 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Make dang sure you mark the timing flange before you remove it. Use a little chisel to make a mark on the flange & the engine housing before you take it apart. It's the part wit the 2 big Phillip's head screws that covers the seal on the fan side of the engine. DONT use a black marker, it's not precise enough, and will get washed off when your cleaning stuff up.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

timing flange huh??? THANKS. .. will do!
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

the stator is part of the ignition system and has to be removed to do the fan side crank seal. IIRC there is 2 timing marks on the case and 1 on the stator and it gets lined up dead center of those timing marks. However this is just a base so if at all possible mark both as CGtech stated
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Lol I advanced mine for more power, just a little, advanced for forward. Its basically the pickup off the crank for the ignition, its a plate that goes around the crank.

All I would add is if the bore is shot it will be low on power, compression is pretty important for 2 strokes. Used to be you could buy a jug and piston bored for a G1 and slap them on but I don't know now. Seals will make it run if they are the problem. You can also deck the head about .030 iirc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

These old G1's are one of the best carts ever made if not the best...There is a cart mechanic that i play golf with from time time and he has said so many time of how well made those old girls are...he buys and sells them as well.When he advertises them they go fast...They were KISS carts he reckons...Like"keep it simple stupid"easy and cheap to work on and go forever...They have 4 different sized piston and ring sets, thats how long they were meant to last.A tad noisy for golf these days if there is a complaint
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha