lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2020, 06:29 AM   #1
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 Odd Problem

The cart was operating normally. Then I went to stop and the engine continued to run a bit longer than usual. My first thought was a rock caught under the gas pedal. It wasn't that so I drove again and it's as if someone is quickly turning the ignition on and off while holding the throttle open more than you actually are.

Slightly depressing the gas pedal the engine will leap to life at a higher rpm than it should for second, then dies for a second, then revs back to life for a second, then dies again and keeps repeating. It can drive as long as I you want doing the one second on, one second off. Each time it runs the engine revs about twice as fast as it should for the throttle position and when you take your foot off the gas it continues to turn over a bit longer than it should.

Thinking an inconsistent fuel supply I tried another fuel pump and there was no change. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this strange behavior?
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Odd Problem

Did you have any recent work done to the cart?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

No work has been done on the cart and it was running great with no indication of trouble until this problem suddenly appeared. The engine is factory stock with no modifications.

As a shot in the dark I will disassemble the carb and give it a good cleaning.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I would try basic maintenance items. Air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, carb cleaning, maybe change the fuel/flush the fuel line. If the cart hasn't been maintained in a while it can have some running issues associated with lack of maintenance.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Cleaning the carburetor got it working properly again. I never actually found anything in the carb but I assume there was something clogging or partially blocking a passage in the idle/low speed system. Maybe the odd running behavior was from it being very lean and right on the borderline of a mixture that would run.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Love it when basic maintenance does the trick!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha