lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
MikeHorrocks
Not Yet Wild

Default Need Help On Speeding Up 2017 Drive 2

I just bought a 2017 Yamaha Drive 2 fleet 48v DC model. It is not lifted and has 18 inch tires and goes 12 MPH. I would like to keep it not lifted and with 18 inch tires and speed it up to a minimum of 20 MPH. The speed up information on the web is either confusing or incomplete. The stock Hitachi motor runs at 3200 RPM to achieve 12 MPH having a 12.5:1 rear axle and 18 inch tires. I see controller upgrades that loosely mention speed increases but do not say what the stock motor speed achieved is. Same with motor changes using stock controllers. I prefer to just change the motor if I could get the 20 MPH and not lose any torque. The motor would have the run just under 5000 RPM but no one lists the motor speeds. So, has anyone replaced just the motor and achieved the 20 MPH with the above constraints? If so, please provide the purchase information.
Secondly, if a 440amp controller upgrade only was made, does that increase the stock motor RPM? If so, to what degree?
MikeHorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Need Help On Speeding Up 2017 Drive 2

The stock hitachi motor is a failure waiting to happen. The stock controller doesn’t have a great record either. I have a 2012 with the xct300 and started with the hitachi until it died. That configuration ran low 20s on the stock 18” tires. Switched to a D&D and speed is about the same but didn’t measure it. I would recommend the 400 as it is just a little more but I got a good deal on the 300 used and knew it would never be lifted.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've replaced the stock controller with an Alltrax 48300 and got ~ 22 mph out of the box ( 20" tires ). The oem Hitachi motor isn't that famous but ok with this setup. The rpm limit was set to 6000rpm. With an Alltrax you'll be able to adjust all settings by yourself and it's great for any troubleshooting with realtime data. No need to replace something else.
Recommendation

PS.
Next step would be the XCT 48400 ( more torque ) a combo package of controller / solenoid would be necessary. Avoid anything above ( 48500 + ) it will kill the Hitachi
and you should replace the motor also.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
MikeHorrocks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
The stock hitachi motor is a failure waiting to happen. The stock controller doesn’t have a great record either. I have a 2012 with the xct300 and started with the hitachi until it died. That configuration ran low 20s on the stock 18” tires. Switched to a D&D and speed is about the same but didn’t measure it. I would recommend the 400 as it is just a little more but I got a good deal on the 300 used and knew it would never be lifted.
KGSC, was your max speed originally 12-14 MPH? So the Hitachi speed to get to 20 MPH is higher than the motor was designed for and is that why it eventually fails? Thanks
Old 03-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
MikeHorrocks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
I've replaced the stock controller with an Alltrax 48300 and got ~ 22 mph out of the box ( 20" tires ). The oem Hitachi motor isn't that famous but ok with this setup. The rpm limit was set to 6000rpm. With an Alltrax you'll be able to adjust all settings by yourself and it's great for any troubleshooting with realtime data. No need to replace something else.
Recommendation

PS.
Next step would be the XCT 48400 ( more torque ) a combo package of controller / solenoid would be necessary. Avoid anything above ( 48500 + ) it will kill the Hitachi
and you should replace the motor also.
ojo, sounds like your experience was a little better regarding the Hitachi motor. Did you notice any change in torque with this controller change? Thanks
Old 03-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My original speed was around 14. I set the rpm limit I believe to 6000 and was just over 20. Hitachi motor is just not as well constructed as some of the other ones so just fails earlier. Also forgot to mention. If you change the motor out the original Hitachi mounting bolts are metric.. Most after market are 1/4-20
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #7
MikeHorrocks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
My original speed was around 14. I set the rpm limit I believe to 6000 and was just over 20. Hitachi motor is just not as well constructed as some of the other ones so just fails earlier. Also forgot to mention. If you change the motor out the original Hitachi mounting bolts are metric.. Most after market are 1/4-20
Thanks for the hardware tip. Probably 2 awg wires will also help.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can only report my experience with the Alltrax as my Yamaha won't run before. Can't compare it with the stock controller, but with the Alltrax, the cart felt strong and fast. The aftermarket controller is able to use a higher rpm level than a stock controller.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:50 PM   #9
jayhrc51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have your exact cart, 2017 Drive2 DC. Added the XCT 400 controller, 20.5 tires and was getting 23/24 on the Hitachi motor. It died in under a year and I replaced it with an Admiral D2. Cart now does 28 on fresh charge with 2 adults and 1 80lb kid.
jayhrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:23 PM   #10
Peth0201
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Although they can die like the user above me had an issue with, I wouldn't worry too much about motor failure with a 2017. If you had a 2007, there would be more cause for concern. Crossing my fingers for you. I have a 2017 with a 400Amp controller and have been going for 3 years now.

Your cheapest option is to get a speed code from your local Yamaha dealer. Depending on the dealer, they range from $150 to $250. It usually takes a day after you provide them your serial numbers. This will unlock the full power in your stock controller. You'll get anywhere from 18-20 MPH depending on your batterypack.

Your second option is to toss an Altrax 400 amp (Or Navitas) controller on the cart and enjoy the extra torque. This will cost you about $500 or so.

You can also buy a 500 amp controller from Scotty B (a sponsor here) and he will limit the juice until you upgrade motor/solenoid. If you plan to go with an upgraded motor in the future, this is a your best option. He preprograms them so your motor isn't compromised.

Best of luck and congratulations - love the Drive2 carts!

cartsunlimited.net

Good luck!

Last edited by Peth0201; 03-07-2022 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Peth0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha