lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
genaris
Not Yet Wild

Default bad exhaust fumes form G3

I just got a gas G3 sun classic, really cool cart, but It has really bad exhaust fumes. I take a short drive and my clothes smell of fumes and I can taste it and smell it. Is this common?
genaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: bad exhaust fumes form G3

The G1 type 2 stroke always stink lol. Some extend the exhaust pipe but does not always work. A guy I know has it out the rocker on the side and says it works. They stink less if the oil injection is working instead of mixing. That and the noise is why they don't make them anymore. Use a better oil I used yamalube in those. If the cart has not been run hard, run the **** out of it wide open for 20min or so and it will smoke a lot and burn the muffler out, then it should not smoke much after that. They fill up with mild use. They do have good power though.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
genaris
Not Yet Wild

I thought about extending the pipe out the back, but was wondering if that would affect the performance of it. I also saw were someone put the muffler in a firepit and burned it clean, is that a good idea? thanx!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yup, a BBQ is a good place to start:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-hot-pics.html

Like sho says, use a high-quality air-cooled 2-cycle engine oil to reduce the smoke and smell.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
chompy
Getting Wild

On G3's I usually cut the end of the exhaust off and weld it back on so it is pointing away from the cart instead of under it. It helps alot.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
genaris
Not Yet Wild

I was just thinking of running it out the back, will that help?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Groovy Grape fuel additive!!!!!!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I just did a clone in a cart and we put the muffler across the rear of the cradle, it exits just behind the right rear mudflap. You don't smell a thing on that cart, but then the new engine burns pretty clean too. The problem with under the cart is it gets sucked up behind the cart in the turbulence, when you stop you get a cloud of it. When you go slower it will stay on the ground but some speed sweeps it right up behind you, that makes me think out the side works better.

Yeah if you run them constantly with a lot of throttle for about 15min without stopping the muffler will start to burn out. Keep on it until the smoke clears and it should run better and not start smoking a lot because its burning in there. But sometimes they get so dried out in there they will not burn out and that is when they BBQ them.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
genaris
Not Yet Wild

It doesn't smoke, just really bad exhaust fumes. I picked up some yamalube today and going to put it in this weekend when I have a chance to pull and empty the oil tank. Is there any danger in BBQ the muffler. I'm having a pirepit this weekend and thinking about it, but don't want to damage the muffler. If I do pull the muffler off, I think I'll cut the exhaust piece and re-angle it and extend it a bit out the side. what you think? thanx!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If it sounds pretty quiet and acts kind of sleepy, the muffler may be plugged. You can burn it no problem, but if you get a huge bed of coals you can melt steel and that would not be good so don't let it get too red. I would not be afraid to try moving the exhaust. Try to temp some things up and see what they do, clamp it together with radiator hose or something.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha