lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
arcountryboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default dead g1

I was riding today and got about 5 blocks from my house and my 81 G1 died. The only problem I have had out of it was cutting over half throttle. It was running fine then it was just like you let off the throttle. It turns over but will not fire up. it is throwing a huge spark off the plug, fuel pump is surging gas, I took the carb off and went through it with carb cleaner and blew it out, cleaned the air filter, and made sure the muffler valve was open. It has a new fuel filter, new plug, new air filter and has been running great. It is getting good fuel and good spark but will not fire, not even if you spray starting fluid in it. Any advice?
arcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: dead g1

Can you take a compression reading? Remember, must be at wide open throttle.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Is the throttle cable working?
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
arcountryboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Is the throttle cable working?
Throttle cable is working, will not start even with choke engaged, still will not start after cooling off. I will have to find a compression gauge before I can take the reading. Compression one month ago was 99.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
kymike
Gone Wild

did you try a new plug after it quit
kymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Good idea- try a new plug. Sometimes they will foul and spark outside the engine but not fire under compression inside the engine. Quick test- put your thumb over the sparkplug hole and crank the engine. The engine should pop your thumb off the sparkplug hole if you have adequate compression to make the engine run. If not, find a guage to confirm, but most likely the engine does not have enough to run. Generally 100 PSI is considered minimum to get any spark engine to run.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
arcountryboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Picking up a new plug today just to make sure. I cant hold my thumb completly over the hole, it will not blow it off like a good engine will, but it does lift it enough for air to escape. I'll get a gauge and check it today. Assuming it needs rebuilt, has anyone ever used the jug, piston, ring kits from ebay for $150?

I mentioned it cutting out over half throttle in the first post, but I forgot to mention two other things.

Saturday I went to get on it and it would run fine in reverse but would not start in forward. It turned over just fine, but would not fire up. I looked it over a bit and didnt find anything so I tried it again and it ran fine.

Sunday we were riding and it just died, we were going downhill so I let it cost to the bottom and by the time it hit bottom it fired right back up and took off. Same as before, it would turn over but not start.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You might have more than one issue. If it quit in forward and not reverse it could be the ignition, but then it would not have spark. The engine does not care what way it runs, but it has a pickup for each direction and solenoids to spin the starter in different directions.

Do you have oil leaking out the crank ends? I had a guy the piston lost a skirt and it got really strange, only started and ran with lots of choke, somehow it didn't grenade it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
arcountryboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
You might have more than one issue. If it quit in forward and not reverse it could be the ignition, but then it would not have spark. The engine does not care what way it runs, but it has a pickup for each direction and solenoids to spin the starter in different directions.

Do you have oil leaking out the crank ends? I had a guy the piston lost a skirt and it got really strange, only started and ran with lots of choke, somehow it didn't grenade it.

No oil leaks, first thing I checked after spark and fuel. It will not even attempt to start even with full choke, holding my hand over the carb, or starting fluid. It somewhat acts like it getting gas and getting fire but not at the same time. I will try the new plug and check compression today.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
arcountryboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Dont know if this is the problem, but it's certanily a problem. Last week some wires melted to the muffler and shorted out. It melted the wire and a ground fuse link. Someone had stuck a horseshoe nail in the fuse link and closed the cover. I replaced the wires and the fuse link. I went out at lunch going to pull the plug to get a new one and noticed the ground wire going to the coil is burned bare all the way down into the harness. I dont know if this is a result of last weeks problem or a new wireing problem. This could certainly explain why it's cutting out at half throttle or more since it's not getting the proper voltage. I am going to replace the wire this afternoon and see if it does anything. It was throwing a heck of a spark off the plug, but it may not be doing much under compression.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha