lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Problem charging new 48V system

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlangley69 View Post
The charger is a 48V club car charger and, no, it never shuts off. The first 6 battereis bubble but the new 2 don't at all and I knwo they are all fully charged as we did them separately. I think we are missing the connection "through" the OCB. what does that do? It looks like a pass through of a insulated wire??? I also think the wire from the charging receptacl to the 6th battery is wrong. Seems like that'd need ot be on the last battery in the series or not at all.

The cart came as 36V battery wiring w/ a 36V charger. worked fine then. We have hence taken it to have the new batteries added fo 48V and bought a used 48V charger. We still have the 36V charger unti lnext week.
Okay just to clarify. You have a 48v cart which somebody put 36v batteries into and a 36v charger with and it ran but poorly. So now you have 8/6v batteries and a 48v club car charger.... This should be okay ~ You are correct the charger must connect at the 1st and last battery in the string.
The OBC must be operable. The CC 48v charger is a transformer without a brain. The Negative cable from the end of the battery pack must run through the hole in the OBC so it can read voltage and control the charger. I suspect your charger maybe wired on.... test by plugging into the wall without connecting to the cart? The OBC is the charger's brain.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

The cable from the last battery (# should feed through the OBC , (front to rear)
and connect to the controller . (NOT #6)

this should fix 2 problems , the last 2 batteries not charging and
the charger not shutting off .

Go to the stickies and find your wiring diagram
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-diagrams.html

One other thing isf the previous owner bypassed the OBC in order U may want to take the jumper out if it exist.
just a LAST minute thought
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OBCBypassInstructions.pdf (551.9 KB, 15 views)
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
tlangley69
Not Yet Wild

Scotty, your summation is correct on what happened. they lessened the battereis and it would not run up hill. The repair guy figure out the issue and now it runs better, but won't charge. Thanks, but no thanks.

The charger does have to be plugged into the cart to turn on. It works on first 6 batteries but not last two.

So I will try a wire from the last battery throught the OCB hole and then to the controller. Right now it skips the OCB step. I'll let you know how it goes. Gotta round up some wire first. ARGGGHH.

But what about the wires to the charger plug? Does anyone have a zoomable version of the diagram on the sticky ? I can't get it to zoom in and it's REALLY small on the plug section.
tlangley69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Looks like you have a wire disconnected at the receptacle...

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/a...9/100_1043.jpg
Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Bad link scotty

What about this ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FS_1998-2002_3_Wire_Accelerator.pdf (53.3 KB, 16 views)
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
tlangley69
Not Yet Wild

Who hooo! The clearer schematic helped!

Scotty - you were right. The cable disconencted at the charger plug goes inside the gray pvc wire protector back to the OCB. I see that in the pic. So I need to hook that back up.

Then we need to run fromthe neg of batt 8 through the front of the OCB hole to the controller. right now it skips the hole. Durn it!! 4 more inches of wire and I could try it now.

So off to find out where to get this type of cable tomorrow. WIsh me luck! Thanks guys. You've been a HUGE help! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welding supply store ~ It is welding cable.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #18
dgcurtis
Getting Wild

Club Car

Not to nit pick but didn't I say all that in my earlier posts?

Doug
dgcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
tlangley69
Not Yet Wild

Yup you sure did! I appreciate it so much. You mentioned you weren't as experienced as scottyb and the others but I think you must have definately learned a thing or two around here since you hit the nails on the head. Everyone has been so helpful explaining this to me so I finally "got" it. Takes a girl a while. :) I still don't get how running a cable through a "hole" makes a difference so that part just cracks me up.

The hubby was glad I got him some answers while he was at work. Now we will let him fix it and I will have to release his "page" back to him. See ya!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
tlangley69
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to Doug, Scotty and Gleemo!!! Didn't mean to leave anyone out. What would we do without these forums to help all of us out? Spend more $$ at a shop to have it done incorrectly again!! Now I have more cash left to find a rear seat. ;)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car