lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Sighbot
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries due for 99 EZ-GO DCS

We got the cart about a year ago and it seems the batteries are in need of replacing. They are about 5 years old now so I knew this was coming.

The areas we use the cart in have quite a few hills and compared to some of the neighbor's electric carts this one has always been sluggish on the hills.

A neighbor suggested I swap to 8 6v batteries rather than the 6 it currently has. He said we should be able to just replace the battery cables with and add an extra 2 batteries to make it a 48v system and replace the charger with a 48v one.

This doesn't sound right to me. There has to be more to it than that. I did a few searches on the internet and seem to be getting mixed information.

Does anyone know if a 48v conversion on my cart is really THAT simple?

If not, are there any suggestions on improving the cart's hill performance without spending $400 or more?

We really only use the cart for putting around the neighborhood and golf, no seat on the back or lift. The normal 15 mph or so is fine for the speed.

Sorry if this has been covered before. It seems most of the upgrades people are talking about involve replacing controllers and other expensive items. I am trying to keep the budget as low as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer,
Tyler
Sighbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Batteries due for 99 EZ-GO DCS

You would definitely have to replace the controller to go to 48v. and the solenoid. and the cables. and the charger. and the batteries. That is, unless you already have an aftermarket controller?
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Sighbot
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick reply. That is the answer I was expecting. Everything in the cart is stock as far as I know, the controller is for sure.

Any thoughts on some relatively simple way to improve torque on those hills?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

New batteries could be all you need. DCS carts make more torque than PDS carts and more speed than Series carts, they are a nice blend of the 2. But be warned, using weak batteries may cost you a controller. If the voltage drops too low due to low charge or weak batteries that system will have a catastrophic controller failure.

So buy batteries now!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Sighbot
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a ton for the heads up. I was planning on picking some up either this weekend or next. The cart will stay parked until it gets done.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

good idea. The cart will be fine on 36v. Be sure to break the batteries in right... lots of short trips and recharging, check water often... the usual.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighbot View Post
Thanks a ton for the heads up. I was planning on picking some up either this weekend or next. The cart will stay parked until it gets done.
The new batteries will make you think you just bought a new cart.
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Sighbot
Not Yet Wild

Wow, questions answered and some some very helpful tips all in about a half hour of posting. You guys rock for helping a guy new to carts like myself out.

Hopefully the new batteries will solve my hill problem. My neighborhood isn't named Incline Village for nothing. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO