lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #21
zeus5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1988 Club Car (gas) Parts

Latest problem i was hoping for help with. when i aquired the 88 club car, i was aslo able to get a top. the problem is that it only came with the rear struts (which fit fine). i have been looking for a front strut for the top so that i can install it on the cart. the top that i have is 2000 and newer as it has the hand grip cutouts. i cant seem to find anyone that sells a strut that will marry a 1988 club car to a newer club car top. i ordered a front strut for a pre 99 club car thinking that it looked about right, but it doesnt line up at all. im dealing with everything carts.com and they said they would replace the strut with a new one that would be about the same money. then they call back and say that it is a very specialized part that with now cost $180 plus FRIEGHT shipping!!! are they kidding? its a 1 inch bent square tube for crying outloud!!!
zeus5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #22
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus5150 View Post
then they call back and say that it is a very specialized part that with now cost $180 plus FRIEGHT shipping!!! are they kidding? its a 1 inch bent square tube for crying outloud!!!
Welcome to the twisted, macabre world of golf cart part prices!
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #23
illregal
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Latest problem i was hoping for help with. when i aquired the 88 club car, i was aslo able to get a top. the problem is that it only came with the rear struts (which fit fine). i have been looking for a front strut for the top so that i can install it on the cart. the top that i have is 2000 and newer as it has the hand grip cutouts. i cant seem to find anyone that sells a strut that will marry a 1988 club car to a newer club car top. i ordered a front strut for a pre 99 club car thinking that it looked about right, but it doesnt line up at all. im dealing with everything carts.com and they said they would replace the strut with a new one that would be about the same money. then they call back and say that it is a very specialized part that with now cost $180 plus FRIEGHT shipping!!! are they kidding? its a 1 inch bent square tube for crying outloud!!!
I believe you just need the newer style front rail. I believe the holes on the front cowl are the same, other then the newer style doesn't have the extra support beams.
illregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #24
zeus5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It there any difference in the placement of the cowl bolts fir older and newer ds? Found this front strut and am wondering if the tabs would line up with my cowl bolts
Old 06-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #25
illregal
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
It there any difference in the placement of the cowl bolts fir older and newer ds? Found this front strut and am wondering if the tabs would line up with my cowl bolts
I don't believe there is any difference..
The guy I bought mine from had the body replaced about 3 or 4 years ago. After looking at the comparison pics of the old and new front cowl on the first page. I've got the newer style front cowl on my 91. The only difference would be the newer front roof rail doesn't have the extra supports that bolt onto it.
I actually used the older style front rail when putting mine together, but just because I was getting a universal roof and it didn't matter. (figuring all this out now, wish I had gone with the newer front rail :( )

illregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
zeus5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I finally found a guy not too far from me for this for 90 bucks. Still seems like a lot for some bent square tubes, but what r u gonna do. Most of the online places acted as though i had shrooms growin out of my ears and said it would have to be custom built and cost 300! Turns out all i need is the struts for a newer style roof and the tabs should line up just fine. Now tume to tackle the heavy duty rear leaf sprungs and shock extensions. This is turning into an obsession.... very addictive to customize a cart, but my family loves it!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #27
zeus5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Before I start screaming obscenities again, is there a trick I'm missing to properly install the heavy duty leaf springs on this thing. The new ones are much thicker and I'm having trouble lining up the mounting hardware.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car