lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Woodie1
Not Yet Wild

Default G5 sun classic voltage regulator

I have a g5 sun classic that was not starting. I traced the issue to a faulty voltage regulator. No voltage comes out of it to the solenoid. The voltage regulator does charge the battery, but it is 17+ volts and rising when I get it running. What is the best option for a new voltage regulator. Is there a cheaper version out there?

Thanks in advance

Brady
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
chompy
Getting Wild

Default Re: G5 sun classic voltage regulator

I have always used a G9 regulator whenever the G5 vr fails. It does not plug straight in though. I will have to look though my notes tomorrow to remember the wire assignments however.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Woodie1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks chompy!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Woodie1
Not Yet Wild

Would this vr for g9 work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Volta...-/260939170113

Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
chompy
Getting Wild

This is what you need to do to wire a G9 voltage regulator in a G5. There are six wires on the wiring harness plug that goes to the G5 voltage regulator. There colors are Red/white, Black, Sky Blue, Brown, Red, and Red/Black. 3 of those wires will be bridged (connected to each other). Connect the Red/White wire, the Sky Blue wire, and the Red/Black wires together. I have done this 2 different ways. One way is with jumper wires and male spade connectors on the ends. Just plug them into the plug slots. The other way is to just cut off the plug and solder the wires together. Either works. Now connect the black wire from the G5 plug harness and attach it to the G9 voltage regulator with a female spade connector on the upper right tab on the regulator as you look straight at it (with the lock slot at the top). This is the only wire coming from the G5 harness that will connect to the new voltage regulator. I usually add wiring so I can bolt the new regulator on one of the bolt holes where the old regulator used to be. Next, attach a longer wire from the lower right tab of the new regulator. Disconnect the green wire connection plugs from the starter and plug the new wire into the wire going to the starter. Tape up the connector you disconnected. It will be left unattached. Next attach a wire from the lower left tab on the new regulator and attach it to the switched side of the starter solenoid. That is the fat red wire that goes to the starter. You can attach it on the bolt of the solenoid or the starter, just as long as it is on that wire. There will be two wires left on the G5 wiring harness that won't be used. That is the thick red wire and the brown wire. You're car should be charging at 14.4 volts.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Woodie1
Not Yet Wild

Everything worked good with your notes! Thanks chompy!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
paraglider
Not Yet Wild

Hi Choopy.I want to install G9 vr in my G5 but am confused on which terminals to use as the G9 has three in a row and you say top rt.lower rt. and lower lt.Sorry in advance for my misunderstanding.Thanks
paraglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Here's my cheat sheet for that conversion. It actually covers conversion to both other styles of Yamaha regulators.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150225_150801_494.jpg (168.4 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
Baker3555
Not Yet Wild

I did this on my g5a but it's still not charging, and suggestions on what to do next ?
Baker3555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha