lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Andy_T
Not Yet Wild

Default BBQ the muffler????

I've seen references to "BBQ'ing the muffler" yearly for the 2/3PG engines. What does this do, and why do it?

(I recently picked up an '87 Marathon, which is under going a (near) frame off restoration. So while I have everything a part, I'm trying to get all the maintenance done..... )
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: BBQ the muffler????

Welcome to BGW!
It is useful for burning out any oil/gas mixture that has built up inside the muffler. I wouldn't do it every year, but if you think you have a restriction in the muffler, have at it. I've found that just running the cart hard for a while will get the muffler really hot and burn most of it out anyway.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

And welcome again Andy T.

Over a period of time excess oil will collect and coagulate in the muffler eventually blocking it. The usual symptom is that the engine will run fine for a short period and then bog down. You can help prevent this by not over oiling your engine. Your 87 was originally fitted with a oil pump which regulated the amount of oil according to engine speed. Wide open the ratio was 128:1 and if your pump has been removed (or if you intend to remove it) this is the ratio you should use. As it happens this works out to be one ounce of oil to one gallon of gasoline.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Andy_T
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info.... I figured as much, but wanted to make sure there wasn't some secret sauce you guys were using to make it go faster....

And I goofed on the date, it's an '89..... The oil injector is still on and functioning, but I have read the posts on removing the injector and running mixed gas. It's running fine, but while I have it in the shop I'm going to address as many things as time allows. I'm on the fence about doing the HEI conversion. Rear diff lube is a sure bet however. Right now the cart is in pieces. All the body panels are off, prepped and waiting for paint to arrive (Chevy Nassau Blue). The undercarriage has been cleaned, painted and undercoated. Custom seat cover has been ordered along with all new rubber trim, front cowl, and the plastic rear fenders. I'm going to wire in a fuse box and add running lights, brake lights (I'm able to drive short distances on the road), and a (motorcycle) stereo system. The cart is used on the golf course at a country club, so I can't do anything too crazy. Mostly I'm just doing a dressed up stock cart.....
Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Ghall
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW you said not going to get too crazy. ok, we will see about that.

Ghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Andy_T
Not Yet Wild

@Ghall - My wife and friends already think I've crazy on it.....
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

A wife will tend to do that until they get to drive it.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Welcome to the madness. I say go ahead and bbq it now while it's not being used. Did it on our Yamaha G1 and it was worth the time. Make a fire get some good coals going and toss it on. It should start smoking from both ends and it burns out the all the build up. Don't be surprised if flames appear. Doesn't always happen but it can. Once it cools give it a few good smacks on the ground to loosen up what ever is left and then I usually blow it out with my compressor. G1 did 11mph before and 18mph after. The governor was already adjusted but the engine just couldn't get the RPM's for that till after. Not to mention it gets there a lot quicker.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

^^^^ what he said i did my ole' g1 ran great after!!!!
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
Stone
Gone Wild

I hate to resurrect an old thread but how bad can it be to discuss a case of beer, big fire, throw in a muffler and watch the reaction of the guys who don't know what you're doing.

My real question is if BBQing the muffler will make it any louder? I am trying to quiet my 86 Marathon in any way I can and I don't want to make it worse but man would I love to do this. LOL
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO