lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
jsabc123
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 ezgo dcs has serries motor??

I just got a 99 ezgo dcs cart and the motor has the a1 a2 and the s1 s2 markings on it. The controller is the stock 300a Curtis controller with the f1 and f2 wires coming off of it and 2 small and 2 large gauge wires going to motor. Can anyone tell me what is going on and is it even possible for that controller to run a series motor?
jsabc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 99 ezgo dcs has serries motor??

An ezgo expert will be here soon. I'll try to help in the meantime. A stands for armature. S stands for stator. No matter if the motor is a series or sepex. It does get confusing when the controllers are labeled different. Controllers normally label the stator F for field instead of S for stator.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
jsabc123
Not Yet Wild

I found the sticker on the motor. It is a advanced ay4-4001 which I think is the stock dcs motor for this cart. It does not have any wires coming off the end of the motor for regen braking though. I just want to make sure this is not a series motor. I have installed 2ga wires throughout and have a dcx500 coming if this is the stock motor will 500 amps kill it or should I dial the controller back until I can afford a better motor?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

From my experience the main factor in running a sepex/regen motor is proper field mapping. If the field map is too high you get slow speed and excessive motor heat, if the field map is to low you lose torque and possibly over rev the motor and kill the rotor like I did.

Just make sure your new controller has the correct field map for the stock motor and you should be fine.

This advice is all pending a review of an ezgo expert that should correct any miss information that I may have given!
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You cannot use a series motor with a sepex controller, or vice versa. Regen uses the same field (stator) and armature (rotor) windings, so you'll only see four terminals. By default, you only get regen with a sepex motor.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The Field terminals on some DCS motors were labeled S1 & S2, but they may have had smaller diameter studs.

Basically, the stationary coils in a series motor tend to be called Stator windings while the stationary coils in a sepex motor tend to be call Field windings, but not always. Whatever they are called (Field or Stator) they don't move while the moving coils in both sepex and series motors are called Armatures.

The wires coming out of the back end of a PDS motor and some CC motors (and others) is for motor RPM sensing (Speed sensor) and not part of regen braking. (IE: A DCS has regen braking, but no speed sensor).

Sounds like you have a stock DCS motor, so you should be running Field Map #3 in the DCX500.

If the motor is running hot, 115°C (239°F) is max case temperature for a Class H motor, back the Max amps down to 400. (Slider at 80%)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
jsabc123
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a lot guys. I don't know what people did before the internet.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Card catalogs, Dewey Decimal System, and microfiche. There were also mailing lists that used snail mail. Dunno how much was available for buggies, but there was a lot of information available for a lot of hobbyists. It took a lot more effort and time though.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO