lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
toslc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 99TXT no reverse

I have a 99 EZ-GO TXT that will no longer work in reverse. I was pulling a trailer and everything worked fine. An hour later when I'm ready to put it away, it won't go in reverse. Forward is fine, and the solenoid clicks in reverse, but it's a no-go! I tightened the center nut on the F/R switch, and still nothing. Took it apart and cleaned the contacts (copper bolts) and nothing!
toslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99TXT no reverse

next, check each and ever high current cable connection.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
toslc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

They are all tight. I even checked the ones on the motor.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslc View Post
I have a 99 EZ-GO TXT that will no longer work in reverse. I was pulling a trailer and everything worked fine. An hour later when I'm ready to put it away, it won't go in reverse. Forward is fine, and the solenoid clicks in reverse, but it's a no-go! I tightened the center nut on the F/R switch, and still nothing. Took it apart and cleaned the contacts (copper bolts) and nothing!
With those symptoms, the odds are about 99.99 to 0.01 that it is the F/R contacts.
The 0.01 chance is a motor that will spin in one direction, but not the other.

Swap the S1 & S2 cables on the motor and then if the cart runs backwards, but not forwards, the probability of the problem being the F/R contacts is 100%
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
toslc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll try that tonight, thank's JohnnieB!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
With those symptoms, the odds are about 99.99 to 0.01 that it is the F/R contacts.
The 0.01 chance is a motor that will spin in one direction, but not the other.

Swap the S1 & S2 cables on the motor and then if the cart runs backwards, but not forwards, the probability of the problem being the F/R contacts is 100%
I've wondered that myself. The only thing I can think of is if the brushes are worn or discombobulated, so they don't make good contract in one direction or the other,
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

FnR could also be out of adjustment. May not be rotating far enough or too far to be centered over the connections. If it runs fine in forward I would like to think the contacts are ok ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
FnR could also be out of adjustment. May not be rotating far enough or too far to be centered over the connections. If it runs fine in forward I would like to think the contacts are ok ?
I suppose I should have said that the problem was F/R contact associated.

You are correct that the contacts are most likely electrically okay if the cart runs in one direction since all four moveable and all four stationary contacts are used when cart moves in either direction.

Moving on one direction but not the other will probably be a mechanical problem, such as the cam (moveable contacts) not being rotated far enough for the contacts to make proper contact, or the board that holds the stationary contacts is warped (due to heat) and one or more of the two sets of contacts does not make contact it one position while they do in the other position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I've wondered that myself. The only thing I can think of is if the brushes are worn or discombobulated, so they don't make good contract in one direction or the other,
I've ran across a few brush type motors in things other than golf carts that would only spin in one direction, usually when the brushes were worn out, or the incorrect brushes were installed.

A few years ago when my only Imaging Engineer was on vacation, I had a factory service rep replace the brushes in the drive motors of an old portable X-Ray unit. The original brushes were no longer available, but a substitute kit was available. The kit consisted of slightly thinner brushes with matching brush holders. For some reason, he only replaced the brushes.

The thing worked just fine for about a month, but then a 4'10", 95 pound X-Ray Tech got a stat call from ER. She backed it out of its parking spot okay, but when she shoved both sides of the handle to go straight forward, only one of the two wheel drive motors spun in the forward direction and the one ton machine started doing pirouettes with her running in circles behind it, trying to get it to go straight. The thing stopped when she stopped pushing the handle and she grabbed another unit to take care of the stat call, but FDA and lawyers eventually got involved in the incident.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
coosa
Gone Wild

One of the things that often amazed me about that FnR is that everything can look just right and it still won't work. I have pulled them out and filed all the contacts smooth and had everything looking like it just had to work, and it still wouldn't work. Other times I have been able to repair them, but sometimes it was just a mystery as to why it wouldn't work.

If I had known about the HD one that ScottieB sells, I would have bought one years ago and been done with it. When I retired the old resistor cart, I decided to give the PDS system a try, and one of the main reasons I chose that was to eliminate that FnR. I haven't regretted that decision yet.

I think it extremely likely that if you will buy a new FnR your cart will run in reverse just fine.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:49 AM   #10
crash test dummy

would a continuity test on f/r switch be faster than motor test ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO