lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
tmr150
Not Yet Wild

Default battery question

I have a 36V DCS. Seems to be charging fine, 35.4 volts. The volt meter shows that it is losing charge very quickly. I loaded it on to the trailer last sunday to bring it back home from the beach and while loading, i felt a nudge and it almost stopped pulling. So I get it home and put it in the shop and let it sit until last night.
Using the ohm meter, I checked the full capacity of the batteries=35.4 volts.
I then unhooked all of the cables and checked each ind. battery with all of them but 1 reading 6.2V. That one(the middle one on the back row) was reading 4.0V
Will that one battery cause me to lose charge quickly? Can I replace just that one battery?
Thanks
tmr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Az Goin'
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: battery question

Yes. It just takes one bad one to pull the others down.
Az Goin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A 6V battery that reads 6.2V about 12 hours after being charged indicates it is only 72% charged and having a battery that very likely has a shirted cell (IE: 4.0V), would tend to overcharge the remaining batteries when they are charged in series with a 36V charger.

I suspect you have a battery charger problem as well as a battery pack problem.

Be careful about running a DCS controller on low voltage, they have no low voltage cutoff and self-destruct.

You might find a used battery about the same AH and age as the others, but unless the others will charger to 6.37V (when measured about 12 hours after being charged), the need to be replaced also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

For future reference, you don't have to remove any cables to check individual or pack voltage.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
sunking
Gone Wild

It means all your batteries need replaced. A fully charged 6 volt battery at rest should read about 6.4 volts or all 6 in series should read 38.3 to 38.5 volts.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Disagree/agree (two statements). One battery is clearly bad. Replacing it with a used one of same amp-hour rating "might" bring the others back, or at least give a little more run-time, depending on how challenging your daily routine is.

Depends on how long the "clearly" bad one was misbehaving. You should post the battery's ages.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO