lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default G1 issues

So I am working on a G1 for a friend. The main issue I have is under acceleration, the starter/generator belt squeals. Cart up on jack stands, what is actually happening is the starter/generator is stopping. A new regulator and different starter/generator has been changed to see if it would make a difference, but nothing. Any help would be great!
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 issues

If it's not the starter/gen, I'd be looking at the mounting to make sure something isn't bent or misaligned.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply. Everything seems straight. Starter unbolted and bolted right in the mount. The lower bolt, like 8 or 9 inches long spun in and out no problem. Pulley alignment is good with a straight rule. Is there something electrical that would tell starter to do this? Is there an rpm threshold for starter/generators? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Can you post a video? Try to get a video of the whole operation from start to stop. Also might look at the wiring and compare with another cart. Was this cart ever running while in your possession?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Make sure you have the correct belt and that it is adjusted properly. What is probably happening is at the higher RPM, charging from the generator into the battery is at maximum. This loads the generator causing the belt to slip. The correct belt adjusted properly shouldn't do this. You could try some belt dressing to see if that helps, but it's only a "band-aid" and temporary.

Another possibility is that your battery might be bad. A shorted cell would cause the charging system to try to put out maximum current. You could swap in a known good battery and see if that cures it. A fully charged 12 volt battery should read around 12.74 volts open circuit after an overnight rest. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will have to try and figure out a video. let me back story for you. Cart is from Wisconsin. lived life on golf course until owner passed away and then went into families farm barn. My friend (Chris) who owns it now, married into family. Cart was picked up about 2 years ago and brought to NC, new battery installed. That summer it cruised the neighborhood in style. Mid summer, the governor was adjusted and cart picked up serious speed, like to 30 mph. Begin spring 2014, cart has intermittent start, mostly no start. So Chris replaced gas pedal switch, starter solenoids, and key switch. Nothing. Brings cart to me. I find the fuse was blown, replace it and it blows again. so I make a by pass wire. Cart runs, but now starter does the stop, belt squeal action.
Pull bypass wire, install fuse. No change. I swapped out starter/gen with what I believe is a known good one. No change. Replaced the voltage regulator, no change. Pull wiring diagram and chase to make sure wires are in the right place. Put old pedal switch back in, no change. Starter spins forward and backwards like it should so likely key switch and solenoids are working like the should.
What am I missing, thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ray, sorry missed your post. I did put a new battery in and think that solved the fuse issue. Do you think the belt could be too tight or too lose? Since there is no Tachometer, it is hard to tell what rpm the engine is spinning. It seems like it is intermittent in the RPM range. Although in the mid to high range.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdriver View Post
Ray, sorry missed your post. I did put a new battery in and think that solved the fuse issue. Do you think the belt could be too tight or too lose? Since there is no Tachometer, it is hard to tell what rpm the engine is spinning. It seems like it is intermittent in the RPM range. Although in the mid to high range.
Thanks
Without knowing what the actual problem is/was, not sure how a new battery could solve a fuse blowing issue.

I would imagine a slipping belt would/could be caused by a loose belt rather than a tight one. Another cause would be a worn belt, where the top width got small, causing the belt to go deeper into the pulley. If the sides of the belt get worn and the belt goes too deep into the pulley you lose side contact of the "V" belt in the pulley and slipping can occur. Replacement of the belt would not be that costly and would eliminate that as your cause. You could try that. Hope you solve it soon. - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 09-05-2014 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: clarified
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
mncdriver
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The fuse quit popping when the new battery was put in. With old battery it would not spin over fast enough and then fuse would blow. Took battery to part store and they confirmed a bad battery. Since then it has not had a fuse issue. Not sure why. I will dive into belts next. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha