lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 empty fuel filter=bad fuel pump or tank vaccuum?

I took a nice ride yesterday in my 82 G1 and after about 2.5-3 miles the cart stopped and it seemed like it ran out of gas. As I lifted the body to check the fuel level I noticed that the tank was still half full but the fuel filter was bone dry. So far I have replaced the crank seals, fuel lines, cleaned the carb, replaced crank pressure pulse line to fuel pump, replaced fuel filter, and cleaned the fuel pump. The only thing I haven't changed out with a new part is the fuel pump itself, the fuel pickup line in the tank, and the vent valve on the fuel tank. Does this sound like a weak/bad fuel pump or a vacuum problem from the vent on the fuel tank? Or could it possibly be something else? I hate to order a fuel pump only to find out that it's not the problem after all. Also when I opened the fuel tank to check for gas there was no "whooshing" sound like the tank was under a vacuum. Scratching my head on this one so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 empty fuel filter=bad fuel pump or tank vaccuum?

Pull the line off the carb and turn motor over should be a good stream of fuel coming out you can pull the vent out and suck through it to see if it's plugged
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wanted to add that after the cart sits for a few minutes the fuel filter will slowly fill back up again on its own.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Pull the line off the carb and turn motor over should be a good stream of fuel coming out you can pull the vent out and suck through it to see if it's plugged
Thanks spicy. I'll test the vent and fuel pressure and let you know what I find out
Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Pulled the line to the carb and I have fuel flowing. Not a strong stream but a stream that seems to have enough flow to supply the carb. Pulled the tank vent and I can get air into the tank but not out. I can also hear the ball rattling inside of it. Seemed a little restricted so I'm soaking it in carb cleaner to see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The vent is a "one way valve" let's air in but not out (keeps from spilling fuel out" check pickup tube make sure it doesnt have a pin hole.... Weak stream kind of concerns me if it's stock fuel pump they make rebuild kits for them I had a marginal stream bought the rebuild kit and it made a world of difference
Old 07-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #7
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Haven't been able to find a rebuild kit for the G1. Do you remember where you got yours?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

https://www.golfcarcatalog.com/produ...build-Kit.html
Has to be the circular metal one.... They are a bear to get at luckily I didn't mind when the motor was pulled
Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not sure if it is same tank,cap,vent as the G9 but gas cap should have a vent and a vent on the tank probably not recommended but you could drive again with gas cap loose or off and see if you still stall out?
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well I cleaned the vent valve in the tank and there aren't any holes in the fuel pickup line so I'm assuming that the fuel pump is weak/going bad. Going to order a new one and see if that fixes it. Not sure what else it can be.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha