lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Mister Fister
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default g29 lift and tires size question

I have done a fair amount of research on this however I can't seem to find a solid answer. I am interested in getting a Jake's LT lift for my gas g29 but am unsure on tire size. I know most go with 23" and that is the recommendation on the website but I would like to know if you can actually fit a larger tire than a 23". Just curious if anyone else has attempted this.
Mister Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: g29 lift and tires size question

I'm not sure with a G29 but most yamaha its common for the tire to hit the bumper mounts. Some will also hit the rocker in front or you can trim it back, or you eventually hit the body too. Then you have to remove the bumper mounts or modify them, and move the cradle back to move the tire back, some also move the cradle down because you are moving it so why not make it more level with a large lift. Again I have not lifted a G29, but yamaha like the full rear bumper and there is not enough room for huge tires without dealing with it.

Someone here knows. You can dig around in members and lifted carts find G29 threads, it can work better to use google to search them, I'm sure its been talked about.

Can also depend on what offset and width of tires you use. Some tires same size are taller or have more tread on the sidewalls so when clearance is tight that can matter.

Just my .02, but if I did one again I would not go much over 4" and I would try to cut out the wheel wells and add flares and go larger on tires maybe 25s. The high carts look cool and all but I trail ride and they are so tippy and unstable feeling, especially newer articulating rear carts. But thats just me and depends on your use its fine for low speed camp ground carts and such. I hit a corner too fast in the woods its not good for me lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Mister Fister
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The cart will primarily be used on the road around the neighborhood but will go through some trails at time. Maybe 80% street, 20% trails. I'm not too worried about haulin *** through he woods and flipping. I would however like for it to be stable when I hit the trails. I know I can do a spindle lift to accomplish the same thing but I have been on other carts with spindle lifts in the woods and it was just awful.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would post in the lifted section and post something like "g29 and jakes LT what tire size?" That may get you some people with that lift to comment.

The LT lifts are certainly nicer offroad.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
Mister Fister
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have been looking at wheels and tires for days now. Purchased tires last night however I have been racking my brain on wheels. I just want to confirm but these wheels should fit a g29 with a Jake's long travel lift right?
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017-01-06_9-36-51.png (123.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

First off if you get "X" lift for the cart they should tell you what tire/wheel fits.

That would not fit my cart due to the positive offset. Stock on my cart is zero offset 3.5/3.5 (front/rear of wheeel) for a 7" wide wheel. To go lifted with a wide 22 such as a 10-12 wide tire the G9 (similar to most carts) needs at least a smaller (negative offset) 3" backspacing to clear the wheel well and frame because the wider atv tire sticks out from the rim more. So you move the inner rim away from the frame .5" in that case, so the tire has more clearance. If you use the same 7" wheel you get .5" more on the outside to help stabilize the lifted cart. My wheels are 8" so thats a 3+5 offset, but I see most wheels are 7 wide not 8, and a 7" would be 3+4...3 inside 4 outside.

Backspacing is the back half of the wheel, that means your wheel is 4" from the hub face. On my cart that is .5" closer to the frame than stock it would hit like crazy. Unless the seller has confusing specs listed, as it does happen.

Google wheel offset, then pick images, it shows it the best. Offset is distance from center of any width wheel to the mounting face, and positive is wheel moved inward and negative moved outward (from the vehicle). Back spacing is the distance from rear of the wheel edge to the mount face, mostly what we care about on a GC because that is what makes them rub on the cart. Far as I know most all carts are 3.5 backspace stock and wide tires hit.

Another issue is you need to move the wheel out not only for clearance but to make the cart more stable. Though many lifts do widen the wheel base, it depends on what lift. Many econo lifts do not. If you have a LT lift this wheel may (or may not) work because the lift widened the wheelbase and you use spacers on the rear axle. I would ask the lift maker to find out what you can use for offset or others here may know. It may work on the front lift but NOT on the rear stock axle, or you may need to use spacers on the rear to widen it like the front. I highly doubt a 4" backspace will work on most any stock cart with wide ATV tires, but I don't have every cart, it certainly will not on most yamaha.

Most things use a positive offset to place the center of the tire close to the bearings in the spindle, this helps the bearings live longer. This also helps steering to have the wheel rotate at the kingpin or spindle instead of the wheel being outside and 'swinging' around instead of turning. However on a cart this is not as important as say on a car running high speeds on the road.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
SETEX ARMS
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I run this wheel on my 2015 G29 with Jake's Long travel. I also run 1.5" spacers in the rear to get the width to match the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
SETEX ARMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Mister Fister
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETEX ARMS View Post
I run this wheel on my 2015 G29 with Jake's Long travel. I also run 1.5" spacers in the rear to get the width to match the front.
I actually have the link to your build on my desktop and reference all the time. I dig it a lot!

I went with different wheels honestly because I hate knowing I copied someone. Haha.

Jake's LT lift installed with 14x7 wheels and 24" tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170119_092523.jpg (364.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
mitcza00
Not Yet Wild

Has anyone used a 3" lift with 23" tires on your Yamaha G29 cart? Mine is a 2016
mitcza00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha