lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
OhioDS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default '84 DS gass - clutch engages while starting

OK, I've got a 1984 Club Car DS gas. It sat for three years, and I acquired it for free from a friend. I replaced the battery, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump, carb, air filter, and spark plug. Drained old gas, cleaned out the tank, filled with fresh fuel, and it fired right up. Now my one remaining issue is that the clutch engages as soon as the starter turns the engine over. On flat ground our facing downhill, this is not really an issue, and it starts just fine, but facing uphill, loaded, or pulling a small wagon, I'm worried about putting undue strain on the starting system, if it will even start under any of those other conditions. Not sure what I need to do here.
OhioDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: '84 DS gass - clutch engages while starting

The clutches that Club Car used from 1984-1987.5 were terrible. They came out with a much better design halfway through the 1987 model year. If I were you I'd upgrade both if they're the original clutches. The original 1984-1987.5 drive clutch did not have a bearing in-between the two sheaves for the belt to ride on, which is likely contributing to your cart's wanting to start moving before the engine fires up.

The other thing you could do is make sure that you have the correct drive belt. The older clutches used a narrower belt than the newer ones, so if someone put a newer, wider belt on that older clutch...that could also cause it to try and move as soon as the starter/gen begins turning (as the wide belt is already in contact with the sheaves on the drive clutch prematurely).

One thing to note if you decide to go the replacement route; the drive belt center lines between the two clutch styles are different, this is why I say that you should upgrade both.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
OhioDS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the newer style clutches will install directly with no modification needed? I'll definitely check the belt before I spend money on the clutches!
OhioDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yes the newer style clutches are direct replacement with no modifications necessary. However you will want to order a driven clutch oriented to run counter-clockwise. So you'll want to look for a driven clutch that's fits 1988-1996 gas Club Cars (in 1997 Club Car motors switched to run counter-clockwise).
Old 10-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

*EDIT to my above post: In 1997 Club Car motors switched to run CLOCKWISE)

Tags
1984, clutch, ds gas, starting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car