lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
Happer3377
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Drive Gas Will Not move

I recently bought a used 2008 Yamaha Drive and the other day we were on the course and went to give it gas and you could hear the engine spinning with no response from the axle. In neutral it revs without any issue and the transmissions are both working. My technician said the hubs and spindles all look good but he says he is going to have to open up the rear end to diagnose the issue.

Looking around there are not many suppliers that carry the full rear end assembly anymore as I am hearing they were discontinued although the components are available. (Don't know that I would need the full assembly) but the ones that are on the market are more than I paid for the cart.

I have read through the forum and seen some similar stories but none that seemed to match my experience so I am hoping some of you more knowledgeable folks have some thoughts on this or some questions I can answer. In addition there was a pretty loud intermittent rattle when at or near full speed. (very possible these 2 issues were not connected.) But this was working fine with no signs of an issue then it stopped moving.
Happer3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 Drive Gas Will Not move

Hello Happer3377,

Is the secondary clutch spinning at all?
matthd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It could be the cables at the trans. Trace the cables back to the trans and make sure they are connected. I had that little bracket come off before and it wouldn't shift into or out of gear.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
Happer3377
Not Yet Wild

yes the transmission was spinning fine but in drive and reverse there was a rough "gravel in the gears" sound and in neutral it was fine.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like maybe its not going into gear all the way. You could go on the back of the trans axle and try to manually put it in gear. You can turn the gear shift lever on the rear transaxle. Maybe your shifting cables need adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB14459D-5A5A-47B6-9DB8-2ABFA26D7525.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #6
Happer3377
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone it seems the rear transmission bolt came out/broke. Something happened that caused the input shaft to strip slightly (we are going to attempt to address it with a dremel saw as it was not too bad.) Luckily we will not need to open up the transaxle
Old 05-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The bolt on the secondary clutch came out?
That was a common issue, but easy fix. You don't want to have to change the input shaft.
If this si the bolt your talking about, make sure when you put the clutch back on the clutch doesn't "rock" on the shaft. That's what causes the failure but an easy fix.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have had my rear end apart twice, I thought my breaks were bad so i replaced them and it was still making a noise and I just ended up putting more friction modifier in it and solved my issue.. Have new break now and a spare set lol. I also put 8:1 gears in the other day, super easy to take apart that rear end.

But to solve your clutch problem check this out ... you insert this bushing to prevent the driven clutch from whobbling, install on the back side of the clutch. or you can upgrade to the new clutch for $220.

Bushing part below with picture attached
https://www.gboosttechnology.com/pro...ushing-yamaha/

FIX1 – Offset Bushing – Yamaha
$19.95
Fitment: Offset Bushing

2007-2012 YDR Driven Clutch offset bushing.
Some 2007-2012 Models were build with incorrect clutch alignment. This shim will correct the issue and put your clutches in proper alignment.

If you need a pic of where it goes I can send one just let me know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg products-FIX1-2.jpg (15.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
Happer3377
Not Yet Wild

I can't believe how helpful you guys all have been!!! So grateful for everyone's input.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha