lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #1
HDBEAVIS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Replaced clutches, cart won't move

I just did my first clutch replacement and thanks to some tips I read here it went pretty smooth. However, the cart won't move now. I replaced both clutches and belts and now when I press the gas peddle the drive clutch moves about an inch and that's it. The new belt was pretty tough to get on but seems to have about .5 inch of play which I believe I have read is normal. If I feather the gas on/off I can get it to eventually start to move and hear the cart fire up but still isn't right. (Didn't do this long but trying to troubleshoot what was going on) Assuming something isn't wrong with one of my new clutches....is it possible to over tighten the clutch bolts?
HDBEAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Replaced clutches, cart won't move

What's your battery voltage? Did you change anything else except the clutches and belt?

The drive belt (widest belt) has nothing to do with starting. The starter belt can be too loose and cause a similar issue but you would be able to see and hear the starter turning.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
HDBEAVIS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'll check starter belt and battery voltage later this morning. Only other thing I did was change oil, filter and plug. Planning to change gas and air filters this weekend to complete tune up.
HDBEAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Is the pulley on your new drive clutch the same diameter as the pulley on the drive clutch you took off? If they're not the same I can see that causing an issue like the one you're describing.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Not sure how one could mess up a clutch change on a club car. but does sound like above, the wrong clutch installed. Really cant mess it up
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

What year is your Club Car? Before 1997 the motors on these carts spun counter-clockwise at the drive clutch. If your cart is older and you bought a driven clutch for a 1997-up cart then the orientation would be clockwise and likely won't work. Or vice versa if you have a newer cart and put an older clutch on it.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
What year is your Club Car? Before 1997 the motors on these carts spun counter-clockwise at the drive clutch. If your cart is older and you bought a driven clutch for a 1997-up cart then the orientation would be clockwise and likely won't work. Or vice versa if you have a newer cart and put an older clutch on it.
Ive seen that before, the cart will still run.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The clutch itself won’t make any difference in starting, but Springbok mentioned the starter pulley on the clutch. There were several different sizes of the starter pulley used on the clutch and if you got the wrong size the starter may not be able to turn the engine. Make sure the pulley on the new clutch and your old clutch are the same size. The pulleys are interchangeable so you can remove the pulley from your old clutch and install it on the new one if they are different. Be sure to use a bit of blue locktite on the screws.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Ive seen that before, the cart will still run.
I imagine that, yes, the cart will run...as in the motor will run. But it seems like he's saying it won't move. If the driven clutch rotation design is opposite the motor orientation couldn't that cause it to not move or move poorly?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:25 AM   #10
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I imagine that, yes, the cart will run...as in the motor will run. But it seems like he's saying it won't move. If the driven clutch rotation design is opposite the motor orientation couldn't that cause it to not move or move poorly?

The Cart will move, I have seen others put the wrong clutches on. They make noise, but cart will still move.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car