lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
tomclubcar2007
Not Yet Wild

Default New Lester Summit II Charger won't charge 48v batteries, only charges 36v

I recently purchased a Lester Summit II for my 2007 Club Car 48v Precedent Electric IQ (4 - 12v batteries). I bypassed the OBC, and the cart runs fine. I tried using the charger, but it does not recognize the batteries as 48v, instead is attempts to charge at 36v, then it faults out with a "low voltage message". I am using system profile 29142 and battery profile 22251. I tried to change profile from scalable profile to per voltage profiles, but when I do that, there are no profiles under the 48v profiles (only shows Not Assigned).

Any suggestions?

Newbie here, so let me know if I should post elsewhere or if I could make improvements.
tomclubcar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: New Lester Summit II Charger won't charge 48v batteries, only charges 36v

I just glanced at the manual and there is a section about auto voltage mode. Check to see what that is set to.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
tomclubcar2007
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New Lester Summit II Charger won't charge 48v batteries, only charges 36v

Yes, I've read that section. It says there are 3 settings: Off, Per Voltage Profile & Scalable profile, with the default value being Scalable Profile.

When I select Per Voltage, there two other settings 36v & 48v. When I look at 36v, there are several profiles listed. However, when I look at the 48v, there are no profiles, only "Not assigned" is listed.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you did not correctly bypass the OBC the charger is detecting the pack voltage through the OBC. You need to run the Black 10awg wire from the charge receptacle to the battery pack main negative, or to controller B- post. You can do that with just a yellow butt connector right at the OBC since the wire comes out of the OBC and goes to B- on the controller.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
tomclubcar2007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If you did not correctly bypass the OBC the charger is detecting the pack voltage through the OBC. You need to run the Black 10awg wire from the charge receptacle to the battery pack main negative, or to controller B- post. You can do that with just a yellow butt connector right at the OBC since the wire comes out of the OBC and goes to B- on the controller.
Are there 2 wires to bypass or 1?
I only bypassed the black wire using a 10awg black wire from the charge receptacle to the negative terminal on the front driver side battery.

I tried to post pictures/links, but I haven't been a member long enough.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok then you may have hooked to the wrong battery. what voltage do you measure directly at the charge receptacle? May also have a bad connection or damaged wiring or receptacle.

You will also need to disable the interlock or eventually the OBC will not let the cart work.
Jump together the White and Blue (should be light blue on that one I think) wires at the OBC plug. This will provide the 48v supply to pin 5 on the controller so disable the interlock.
If you want the interlock to work with the new charger you’ll need a 10k ohm 1/2w resistor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #7
tomclubcar2007
Not Yet Wild

I had a case of the stupids. I connected the bypass wire incorrectly. Once I connected to the correct battery, spoke with Bill at Lester and confirmed that I should be using the factory default system & battery profile numbers.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Tags
48v, club car, lester summit ii, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car