lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
AndyT
Not Yet Wild

Default Convert Resistor to Controller?

A local golf cart repairman told me I would be better off converting my '85 resistor setup to a controller, especially if I wanted more power and speed. There must be advantages to controllers, else the makers would not have started using them.
What are the thoughts of the enthusiasts here about making a conversion?

What changes are involved in the conversion?
Are there additional costs other than the controller? Motor? Charger?
Are there mods to the frame (i.e., mounting brackets, etc) that need to be made?
Can I convert incrementally, or is it best to just do it all at once? (I do still have to adhere to a budget.)
If I make the conversion, can I still be a member of the Old School Marathon Drivers? (This one is important to me)
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Default Re: Convert Resistor to Controller?

lol... the motor is the same, (unless you want more power). The charger remains the same.

You will also be needing a potentiometer.

Late model Marathons had speed controllers, so I think you would still be allowed in the club.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

All You need is a pot box (PB-6) and controller. Nothing else is NEEDED. Your run time will increase and you "might", and thats a big might gain a mph or 2. Thats only if the old resistor system is faulty and not working right in the first place. Everything else as Phasetim said is the same....ie motor, solenoid and "most" of the cables. You should be able to manage without having to buy any cable but if you don't a quik trip to the local auto parts store or wally world to pick up a battery cable will get you going.

More than likely you will need to fab mounts for these components. The PB-6 will be the most critical as far as where to mount as the factory pot box has a rod coming from the pedal to the box....everything else will be flexible as far as mounting location because you can just wire to it.

When your local guy said you would be better off converting, especially if you wanted more speed I think he meant that your limited to what you can do with a resistor style system because you can only get so much power out of the older style system. You can get more power out of a controller system and there are more options available.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

at some point its better to put that one on the side of the road, and buy a newer one...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
AndyT
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasetim View Post
at some point its better to put that one on the side of the road, and buy a newer one...
But then I'd have to give up the Old School shirt!
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

You could always joing the Club Car drivers club
Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasetim View Post
I agree...Its one thing to have these components laying around or get them cheap and a whole other thing when you go buy all NEW stuff. You could easily spend more money on a controller than the cart is worth. It all depends on what YOU want to do with it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Car53WhereRU
Getting Wild

Club Car

Also a lot depends on how and where you use your cart. I converted my, pardon the word, Club Car from resistor to controller about a year ago. As most of my use is at very slow speeds (where resistors are most wasteful)I gained a significant amount of "run time" on a charge. I also noticed a gain of some speed when pulling hills. If most of your time is spent with the pedal on the mat and on level ground the up-grade may not be worth the investment. You would likely be better off going to 4 gauge battery cables for now and waiting for the resistors to start giving you trouble and then switching. Just my .02 worth... Car53
Car53WhereRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO