lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
mstrazz
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 DS squirrly steering issues

I just bought a 97 CC DS gas powered and it already had an A-arm lift on it, not sure what brand lift, I'm pretty sure it's a 4 inch lift. Anyway my issue is at basically any speed, the steering is very touchy and almost dangerous such as it would be real easy to get out of control and turn on its side. I have pretty good mechanical apptitude so I'm sure I can fix this with a little direction at what to look at first. I ordered a steering damper for an ezgo that I plan on adapting to my application, and also am going to adjust the toe settings to 1/8 to 1/4 as I've read in here. I also assume the camber should be set so the tires are perfectly plumb with a driver in the seat. Is there anything I can do to adjust how quickly the steering turns. Also if anyone has a shop manual for this cart and is wanting to part with it, I need to buy one. Thanks.
mstrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Gummi Bear
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 97 DS squirrly steering issues

Caster will help some.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
mstrazz
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'll make sure to try that also. It's finally warmed up a bit and I am getting the itch to work on it soon.
mstrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Set toe at 0 to 1/8 but as close to 0 as possible. Look at tires 2 or 4 ply and what size wheels? Whats the air pressure? All that should be a good start.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Gummi Bear
Not Yet Wild

Don't rule out the tires either. Some of them just ain't round.

Add something for a dynamic balance, Airsoft beads, ceramic beads, Slime or something to help 'round out' the tire when it's rolling.

Caster is important in stablilzing the front end of a live axle vehicle; how easily it tracks straight, and it also will influence how easily it will return to center after you turn the wheel.

Here's a decent article explaining what it is, how to measure it, and some suggested fixes: http://www.circletrack.com/chassiste...ber/index.html I know, it's not cart specific, but the theory is the same.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Deans
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Don't know what the lift setup is like but there is no adjustment on a stock Club Car for caster or camber; all you can adjust is toe-in and left to right centering of the lower suspension assembly (basically the front spring) via the excentric bolt....
Deans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Can you post up some pics of the frontend?
Front looking, Side shot without wheel,
how is the rest of the steering and linkage? any slop?
Bushings good? ball joints?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering issues
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car