lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
ugmo
Not Yet Wild

Default 01 club car ds lynx jake's lift kit

Ok my friend has a 01 club car ds lynx and wants to put a jakes super lift on it but jakes say it will not work on his cart my ? is has anyone put one of this lifts on this cart and how bad was it to modify the kit to make it work.
What other lifts out there will have the same look and will fit on his cart.
kevin
ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: 01 club car ds lynx jake's lift kit

Kevin,
Your friends Lynx has an existing 4" "Z" lift, they come from the factory that way! (I know... I have one!)

With the Z lift, the front portion of the frame is cut, and lowered with a Z bracket.
most lifts (I've found) won't work on cut frames, unless you keep the existing Z lift, and add another lift to it,
OR... find a REALLY good Welder to weld the frame back together!

It has been recommended to me, NOT to stack two lifts on top of each other,
by a couple of smart "cookies" here,
but I've seen it done to another Lynx at my campground. (8" A arm)
that's why I'm still debating If I will or not! (I respect those opinions that I've received!)

I've talked and e-mailed pics of my front end to Steve at Jakes,
and he advised me that the 3" or 6" Spindle lifts would work on my cart with the existing Z lift!

Soooo... either have your buddy look into the spindle lifts, OR...

If your friend decides to have the frame welded, it better be a good strong weld, and it better be straight!

Good luck in your search!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
ugmo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I will let him know the bad news
kwvin
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

So I am going to ask the super dumb question. Is a stock lynx's "Z" bolted or welded to the front end?

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
ugmo
Not Yet Wild

It is bolted at the frame rail
The problem is the frame rail were cut back and the super lift has nothing to bolt on to.
kevin
Old 01-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugmo View Post
It is bolted at the frame rail
The problem is the frame rail were cut back and the super lift has nothing to bolt on to.
kevin
Right on the money!

Had I known that before I bought my Lynx, I might have had second thoughts...

Naaahhh!!! I don't think so!

BTW Aaron... there are no dumb questions!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

well then there is a simple solution for a bigger lift! just replace the "Z" with a bigger unit! you can unbolt it. lay it out on some cardboard and make a template. then cut that out and hold it up there and align front end that has been cut to suit. might take some tinkering but you should be able to make a new one.

As another thought, you probably just can buy a z lift in the size that you want and put it on instead of the stock unit. seems i have seen like an 8 somewhere around.

granted this is not a long travel or plushy one, but i gotta think club car spent a lot of time and moola develpoing the front end a long time ago. there has gotta be a reason they haven't changed it much in all these years. I know the cart I had with a z lift rode a hell of a lot better than the 6 inch spindle i have on the current cart!

-Aaron
Old 01-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
pwfd1613
Not Yet Wild

I also own a lynx and have been playing with the idea of adding a spindle lift on top of the Z- lift. I dont think it would hurt anything as really your not changing any of the stress points on the frame. Just moving the rims lower should keep everything pretty much the same but I'm no structual engineer so don't take my word on it. Try it first and let us know how it works out for you, if you live I might try it j/k
pwfd1613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vertical View Post
well then there is a simple solution for a bigger lift! just replace the "Z" with a bigger unit!
-Aaron
True... BUT...

Through my investigations, a larger Z lift doesn't gain any ground clearance at the front end suspension components!
(the leaf spring is as high off of the ground with the 4" lift, as with the larger 8" lift!)
At the campground they call this a "Body Lift"

Where as... the A arm, spindle, and Long Travel lifts gain ground clearance at the front end components!

I am still consitering the 3" spindle lift from Jakes, thru Ron (ECCC) or Tom (CPP),
but, a personal "endevor" is keeping me from spending any money until March or April...

When I do... I'll post it!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

better take a good look at that again. I have no more clearance with my 6 inch spindle lift than I did before. I think a a arm is abotu the same. You gain ground clearance by having bigger tires. If you have a suspension part below the spindle as a stock cart does then you have no more clearance. I "THINK" even the long travel setups use a double a arm. if so then they too have same problems, just a whole lot more suspension to absorb the rough stuff. I still think my cart rides harder than a stock suspension.

Ideally i would have 25 or so inch tires on a stock height cart. best to keep the center of gravity as low as possible well to me anyway.

You may also be able to put a 2 inch extension plate on there to gain some front end clearance. that might help to get some bigger tires on there. i know I was able to stuff soem 20.5's on my unlifted 94 with one.

-Aaron
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car