lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
HEWY475
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 yamaha g16 backfires/misses when warmed up

1996 Yamaha g16 gas 4 cycle. just fixed a cracked fuel line elbow on the tank and now we have a fuel filter that is full of fuel, pump appears to pump with the line off at the carb.. So i changed the spark plug(twice), took the carb off and blew it out, air filter is new. still getting a miss then a backfire through the airbox but only after it warms up a bite(like 3-4 minutes of driving). then it will not run much at all or wont start until it cools. any help would be great.

thanks !
HEWY475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
TxPowderCoater
Getting Wild

Default Re: 96 yamaha g16 backfires/misses when warmed up

could be numerous things, but if it was mine, I'd check:
valve lash, runs great cold, runs crappy hot = check valves
if problem still persists, check coil for heat breakdown.
TxPowderCoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Just dealt with the same exact issue. Not saying this is your problem but mine was the coil. I even had a "new" one to swap it with it. The so called new one was bad as well. I could ride for a few minutes then It would slow/die down and back fire. I ordered a new oem coil a just rode it for about 20 min with only one back fire at the beginning but I think that was the valves. I need to recheck them but otherwise ran fabulous. Check the coil.
When it does this check for fire, if no fire see if the blue wire that attaches to the coil has a 12 volt signal. If the signal is there more than likely your coil.
Flippz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Welcome to the board and here's a link to my thread.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...fter-warm.html

Scott Ross
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
whitecaps
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEWY475 View Post
1996 Yamaha g16 gas 4 cycle. just fixed a cracked fuel line elbow on the tank and now we have a fuel filter that is full of fuel, pump appears to pump with the line off at the carb.. So i changed the spark plug(twice), took the carb off and blew it out, air filter is new. still getting a miss then a backfire through the airbox but only after it warms up a bite(like 3-4 minutes of driving). then it will not run much at all or wont start until it cools. any help would be great.

thanks !
Hi dont know where to post this so will try here I have a yamaha gas and we are going to install a radio my question is do we need to put in a seperate battery to run the radio off of or can we wire it to the battery thats in the cart...also would you recommend wiring to a on/off switch ,,oh and we are also installing some led lights under the cart just wondering how to power all this thanks
whitecaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
whitecaps
Not Yet Wild

Default Re Installing radio yamaha gas

thanks ![/QUOTE]

Hi dont know where to post this so will try here I have a yamaha gas and we are going to install a radio my question is do we need to put in a seperate battery to run the radio off of or can we wire it to the battery thats in the cart...also would you recommend wiring to a on/off switch ,,oh and we are also installing some led lights under the cart just wondering how to power all this thanks
whitecaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You can use the starting battery, just run it through the key switch. This way you can't leave it on by mistake.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
HEWY475
Not Yet Wild

Ok great, Thanks for the help - im on it tonight!, also would you know the:
coil air gap measurement ?
spark plug gap ?
valve lash settings ?

thanks again
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Coil gap of the stator I used a thin piece of cardboard, worked well
Spark plug gap I used .28 book call for .26-.30
Valve adjustment is .004 thousandths on compression stroke with a cold soak, not ran for 8hrs or overnight. Please see sticky above for this as it has a great write up

Good luck
Scott Ross
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
HEWY475
Not Yet Wild

How about the coil. Where is a great place to buy an OEM coil online?

thanks again !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha