lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
cutesmurf
Not Yet Wild

Question Substitute for clear coat on metallic spray paint?

I'm painting my cart with Dupli-color metallic cobalt blue spray cans. So far I've applied adhesion promoter & primer, then paint onto my cowl and it was looking really good. Then I went to finish it with Krylon clear coat and now it's dull and lost its metallic look. I did some research and found out after the fact that this is what clear coat does to metallics. I'm going to wet sand it back down and start over but I'm wondering what else I could use for a sealer? I've found blog posts recommending floor wax or car wax among others to use over top of metallic spray paint, even one that said to use Maguire's Spray-on Quick Wax and THEN clear coat, but none of those articles were painting a plastic golf cart body or anything related to a vehicle.

Any ideas?!
cutesmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Substitute for clear coat on metallic spray paint?

For spray cans, use USC high gloss spray max clear coat. It is awesome and works great! I had the same issue as you with dupli color clear.

I wet sanded the dupli color off light with 600-800 grit then applied the USC high gloss and it was night and day.

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-High-Gl...ar+coat+spray&

Use an N95 mask for this stuff because it can cause reactive asthma immediately if inhaled weather you have a history of asthma or not.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

This first picture is after 3 coats of Duplicolor high gloss classes clear coat. Dull, orange peel and swirls galore. I was not happy
0602162019b.jpg

This was after wet sanding and applying 2 coats of the USC 2k. It was night and day.
0602162020.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the rotated pics, I've officially gave up trying to fix them
Old 02-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
rib33024

This is not what clear coat does to metallic. If you don't put enough coats and wet coats over the metallic paint it will come out dull. It is real hard to get clear even and wet with spray cans. Sand it down and spray the clear again. They have a wide spray tip on some spray can that helps a lot
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

+1 on what Rib said.

I learned through my process clear likes to go on wet, but not enough to run. More like 6" or so away from the surface with overlapping of 6" or so.

Applying it like paint (dusting, light coats) will not work and will cause a dull finish.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

do you have to lightly sand the base coat before applying the clear or just apply it after the base coat dries?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
cutesmurf
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both! I watched a couple videos about putting the clear on 'wet' and I could see what I was doing wrong. I'll order some of the better clear coat and try it again. Glad to know there's people to help me out in these situations!
Old 02-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
cutesmurf
Not Yet Wild

NCPW, how many cans of the 2K did you end up using? I'm not sure how much to order.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
rib33024

The wide spray tip makes a big difference in getting the wet to shine. The wetter you can get it with out running, the shinier it will be. It's an art , and lots of practice
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #10
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutesmurf View Post
NCPW, how many cans of the 2K did you end up using? I'm not sure how much to order.
4 total for the whole body

Tags
clear coat, metallic, paint, spray
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint