lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Intermittent Spark

Hi everybody. This is my first post....and my first problem for you to help with.

I have a 96 vintage gas club car that I am working on......had a big problem with spark....I replaced the limiter and igniter...worked great for a while....no...i am still getting an intermittent spark...but not as severe.....it used to be that i could tap the limeter and it would start up, after that was replaced that problem has stopped.......the "fix" no longer works....so it is not that problem again...

I'm guessing that I am looking at the coil...but, before I tear into that....(which looks to be an ordeal in itself) I thought I would bend some ears to get some ideas.......any help would be great.

BTY...I am not too much of a noob.....I have been repairing Carts for a private community for 12+ years now. Around 140 carts...in my "spare" time.......You would think that I would have encountered everything....but I guess we will always have new problems to fix. :)

Last edited by muckinfonkey; 09-06-2007 at 10:44 AM..
muckinfonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: Intermittent Spark

You're probably on the money with the ignition coil being bad. I take it that it's an early 1996 seeing as how it still had the ignitor remote from the igintion coil.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

UPDATE.........

Messing around with it today......

You have to get the motor hotter than the dickens before it fails to fire........ so here is my question..... if not the coil.....is there anything else it can be?? like I said before....I replaced the limitter and the igniter.....checked all wires for poor connection while it was rolling over.....they way that you can get it to fire is to.....push the gas and let go several times....then you usually get ignition of a bunch of un-burned fuel. once it cools down
Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
club car man
Ford

You may have posted this, but did you try a new spark plug?
club car man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
hookss
Not Yet Wild

I had the same problem with my 96. I changed out the limit switches in the component box. One was intermittently working. Cured the problem.
hookss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

check limit switches, and check the crimps on the wires going to limit switches... spark plug, then check crimps on ignitor and limiter as well...
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have changed the limiter and the igniter..... also gone through the wiring....I am putting in the new coil today....sooooooo hopefully it will work....if not........ugh..... i don't know what else it could be....club car tech says it must be the coil but.....
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

club car tech says it must be the coil but.....

i'm trying to remember this, but there is a magnet that rotates and triggers that coil.... there can be a problem with that... (pretty rare though)
Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well.........thank you everyone for the input. I got it finished last night.....here is how it went down.

when the problem began i replaced the limiter and the igniter with brand new ones..... you could tap on the limiter with a wrench and it would fire.....so i replaced both limiter and igniter...... problem began about 2 days after again....

so I tear the motor apart...... exhaust off....side cover off....(OMG what a pain).....and get a new coil.....expecting it to start right up.....nooooo nothin...no spark at all.....I trace every wire checking for continuity..no problems. So in a last ditch atempt I borrow the igniter and limiter assembly off of a cottage owner's cart......try limiter... still nothin......switch New igniter for a 12 year old one.....fires up nice thick spark........The NEW igniter was bad......i could not believe it......

So I guess this is a word to the wise.....never assume anything.... again thanks for all the input
Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Quote:
never assume anything.

Isn't that the truth. Glad you got it figured out...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car