lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 AM   #1
BBissitt
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default governor arm on rearend

I have a 1986 Club Car DS, i removed the governor linkage from the carburetor. I now see that the governor arm on the rear end moves back and forth pretty freely, and plan to remove it completely.

I was wondering what that governor actually does, and what i mean by that is, does it just reduce the speed to the gearing in the rear end to limit the speed or does it actually cut off the spark or ignition to the engine?

Thank you
BBissitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: governor arm on rearend

The governor assembly inside the trans uses flyweights spinning with the input shaft to move that arm. That arm controls the throttle cable/rod to open or close the carb butterfly.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
BBissitt
Getting Wild

Club Car

so your saying if the rod to the carburetor is disconnected, it will have no effect on the motor in any shape or form, and has no connection related to the motor at this point.

Regards
Old 08-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

No. The governor monitors cart speed. The governor directly controls the carburetor throttle plate. If you disconnected the rod going from the governor to the carb then the cart isn’t going to run unless you run a cable directly from the pedal to the carb.

On those kf82’s I’d recommend putting the governor and all back together. Those motors really don’t like to rev and bypassing the governor is a nice recipe for a blown up motor.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
BBissitt
Getting Wild

Club Car

There is linkage from the pedal to the control box, and a cable from that box to the throttle linkage.

regards
Old 08-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
No. The governor monitors cart speed. The governor directly controls the carburetor throttle plate. If you disconnected the rod going from the governor to the carb then the cart isn’t going to run unless you run a cable directly from the pedal to the carb.

On those kf82’s I’d recommend putting the governor and all back together. Those motors really don’t like to rev and bypassing the governor is a nice recipe for a blown up motor.
Both of my carts (a 1987 and a 1990) run just fine without the governor rod connected. The governor rod doesn't (fully) control the throttle plate it just...governs it. There is already a cable that runs from the pedal to the carb.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Both of my carts (a 1987 and a 1990) run just fine without the governor rod connected. The governor rod doesn't (fully) control the throttle plate it just...governs it. There is already a cable that runs from the pedal to the carb.
Did not know that, I knew it used a rod for the governor but assumed it was like the rest of the club cars the governor controls the throttle directly. thanks for the correction
Old 08-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

In essence the governor pushes back against your throttle input to keep the engine from over-revving. Weighted arms inside the trans swing out by centrifugal force and push on a pivoting arm that moves that rod. Disconnecting or removing it won't hurt anything - as long as you keep the RPM's under control. As mentioned those KF82's were never intended for higher RPMs
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:57 AM   #9
BBissitt
Getting Wild

Club Car

thank you for that explanation, hence why there is a spring on the throttle cable itself, to overcome the tension from the foot pedal.

Thank you for your response
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car