lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
shlong
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default When doing 4ga upgrade on a v-glide

What cables should be replaced when doing the 4ga upgrade? All the ones from the wiper switch as well? '91 36v

Thanks
shlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: When doing 4ga upgrade on a v-glide

If you don't do them all then what good would the upgrade be.....yes do them all.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

A system is only as strong as the weakest link. You should do all voltage carrying wires. Don't worry about the small control wires.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
shlong
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

WOW, That's alot of cables! How much improvement/speed does this really produce? Anyone have lengths of all the cables so I can start building them without removing the body?
Thanks so much in advance!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

put yourself about 4 to six hours aside for a saturday or sunday........before you start get some PB blaster and hit every nut, buy 50 ft of 4 gage cable and a bag of 50 ends, if you don,t have the crimping tool for the connectors either buy or borrow one..............also get a can of liquid electrical tape and when your done with a cable go over anywhere theres copper wiring showing with the liquid tape........looks so much better and keeps it from crodding there........................i still just sit and do one at a time........take one off measure it cut new cable...................its a nice peaceful job that takes some time but isn,t hard if your ready for it...................use the blaster a few days before doing the job...................................good luck................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
shlong
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Tom,
Thanks for the info, very helpful! Do you do this with the body on? I have it off now for paint (and lots of cleaning and other maintenance) and know it would be alot easier to perform this upgrade now. However I have 2 weeks before this cart has to be back together for a vacation outing. Would luv to get it done now but now sure if I should get any deeper involved.

Where is the best place to get the cable and ends? Is this just welding cable?

Ran the cart last nite with just frame and batteries and my fat butt, gps said 16 mph. Guess this is about average?

Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The best cable you can get is 4 gauge welding cable, finely stranded and use either tin-coated copper or plain copper lugs. Don't use wire "terminals". Make sure you use 4 gauge lugs with 5/16 holes. Any decent welding supply will have this. The tin-coaed copper may be a little harder to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lugs.JPG (61.9 KB, 15 views)
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

also yes its a lot easier with body off...........but not that bad even with body on.........................yes get the right ends not wire terminal ends you want battery cable lugs................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
rhinoman
Not Yet Wild

Looking to replace the cable inside the v-glide assembly. Is the swinging contact and cable all part or a single assembly, or can I swap a piece of 4ga welding cable in there ?

Also - Are there lugs out there (as pictured above) that are narrow enough to fit inside the v-glide in between the plastic spacers ? I'm considering putting mine in a vice, or grinding the sides a bit... worst case was thinking about using the ring terminals from the stock cables, but I don't think (even if I can uncrimp them) they'll fit 4ga.

/Rhino
rhinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Grind a little off of the 4ga lugs to fit the V-glide. The cable inside the v-glide is braided for flexability and can't be replaced with reg wire. All of the parts in the V-glide are available through any dealer or BGW sponsor ......
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car