lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
clow#1
Not Yet Wild

Default workhorse lift advice

well just bought me and my son ( age 9 ) a 1999 ez-go workhorse 1200g clutch is 28 motor 350cc. we have cleaned it all up and i have changed all the fuilds, inspected all wiring and adjusted the valves. He has been running me to death in the hunting woods and this will save me the walking, Now its time for the lift kit. I have read in the forums that the 1200 is a pain to lift ( just my luck ). I called ez-go and they said they do not sell a 5" or 6" lift. I looked at jakes as seen on this site.found two I would like some advice on P# 6213 and P# 6215. Is the spindle kit just as strong as the drop axle? And will these kits lift the rear. I would like to run the 23" tires and dont know if I need the 5" or the 6" lift. I just want to do this one time. I have a good wood working and metal working shop. I just want a good lift kit with the most parts needed to lift. all the help that I can get will help. by the way this site has helped alot and this is my first post on this site most of the info I need I have found just reading :) THANKS, Chris
clow#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
capthump1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Location: (winter) Homosassa,Fl / (summer) Bayonne,N.J./ Port Jervis, N.Y.
Default Re: workhorse lift advice

I used a Jakes 6" spindle on mine. Its pretty easy to install. It comes with blocks to lift the rear. They say the drop axle is stonger but those spindles (jakes) are massive, and can't see you breaking them. I put 22" tires on mine and love the looks. Also the spindles move the tires forward and widens the stance, don't know if the drop axle lift does.
capthump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

The drop axel does the same as the spindle lift. I prefer the drop axel vs the spindle but have been changing my mind while looking over the Jakes catalog.

A long travel will give you far superior handling to either of the above.
So, Spindle lift, easiest to install.
Drop axel still not difficult to install, and in my opinion a little more heavy duty.
Long travel, most expensive but ultimtely worth it! again, my opinion.

You can lift the rear by flipping the axel under the leafs, no blocks required

Good luck and enjoy
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!!! The 1200 isn't too bad to flip the rear if you have a sawzall & grinder to cut off the bottom-out bumpers & centering pins.I did mine and really enjoy it
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I think some 1200's don't have the boxed front axle, if that being the case it's not the dropped spindles that is the weak point it's the axle.

edit, opps after reading your post again I see it's a 99, should be boxed.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
I think some 1200's don't have the boxed front axle, if that being the case it's not the dropped spindles that is the weak point it's the axle.
that's the 2001.5 and up that have the channel axle. his should be fine for using whatever lift he wants.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
clow#1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice, looks like I will go with the drop axle. 22 swamp fox tires. can't wait to lift as I went turkey hunting today and walked about 5 to 7 miles it seems. I will post before and after pics and some pics as I'm doing the lift. Do you think I need to pull the clutch and check it all out. The owner said it was all stock. And would it be worth a performance spring. don't want to loose performance with the larger tires. As i said me and son will be using this for hunting only. NOT MUD RIDING. Just to help get in and out of the woods and to load the deer up and drive out :) sure is going to be nice!!! stovebolt I love the look of that cart where did you find a 7" lift looks great. And ruredy is that a winch I see on the front of your workhorse?
clow#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

"NOT MUD RIDING" at least you say that now just wait until you have it a while you will be doing all kinds of things you didn't intend it for.
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used a 4" drop axle for the front and put the springs on top for 6" plus tires. I made a drag link to replace the steering arms. The back is only about 4-5 lift with shackles in the back and lowered front leaf mounts. Part iof the lift kit was used to lower the front of the motor. It was the cheapest lift kit, made for an electric TXT by all sports
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I have seen a 1200 lifted on the rear with 8 pieces of 1/2" black pipe, to get it up to shock plates over the axle, then blocks, then springs, then shock plates on top, using long bolts down through it all to hold it together.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO