lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 AM   #1
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Converting g1 cart to sawmill any help

hello all and thanks in advance for help. Background info: i saw a video the other day of a man that built a sawmill out of an old golf cart. Well, I had to try. I have an old g1 golf cart that has been sitting under a shed for about 3 years. I went out and tried to get it running again. I bypassed oiler and am now mixing gas 50:1. The fuel pump was not getting gas to carb so I have added a small gas tank and am gravity feeding gas to carb. (Plan to do this permanently. Any problems?). The cart will run, but not as good as I would like. I have taken carb off and cleaned and adjusted, but doesn't seem to help much. (Thinking I will order a new aftermarket carb for $40). Because of how it will have to mount to work on sawmill, I have cut muffler off. Have had a new tractor muffler on and had no muffler on at all and it doesn't really effect how it runs either way. It does run much stronger when I force governor down (increases power). I would like to bypass governor, but haven't gotten around to figuring out how. The breather is off of the carb and when it is starting up spits a lot of gas out of carb. Once started and throttle is opened up don't notice the gas spitting out. I can run the cart at wot for a period of time and it will start to bog itself down and the run good again. I would assume this is probably in my carb? Which I think I'm going to get new one. But with all of the other variables I have; any ideas what is most likely culprit? Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (186.1 KB, 0 views)
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
express
Getting Wild

Default Re: Converting g1 cart to sawmill any help

Well this should be interesting.

I am no expert but two things do come to mind. Rebuild the carb you have. I don't think the cheap aftermarket carbs are half the quality as your stock carb. Ditch the gravity feed fuel can and rebuild the pulse fuel pump and hook it up the way it was designed to run. You are dumping too much fuel into that motor.
express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:26 AM   #3
georgia088
Gone Wild

I'm definitely no expert, but it just seems to me that the carb has a float in it. So, as gravity forces fuel into carb the float in carb should shut fuel supply to carb off until it needs more and opens back up. Just like a fuel pump would continually force fuel in carb if the float didn't stop it (atleast that makes sense in my mind but I don't know) I'm wondering if at high speeds the gravity isn't pushing fuel in fast enough because the tank is not vented. And as for carb, I have taken all jets out of it that I see and sprayed with carb cleaner. I don't really know what else to do to it other than this Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Gravity feed should be fine, but you'll need to vent the tank or it'll run the carb dry, may be the issue you have. But, if the float/needle/seat act up, it could fill the bottom end with fuel. Inline shutoff would stop that.
With no filter or muffler, you may be running lean, could lead to a melted piston.
Nifty concept, but the G1 is prolly worth enough to buy a new Harbor Freight or VC 4-stroke clone with more power and torque.
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
georgia088
Gone Wild

Thanks for your help! I would like to get this motor running if possible just to keep from having to buy a new motor, but I haven't thought about a harbor freight motor... Will this work? What all would it entail to change over to one? Will the shaft that comes out of the motor just hook up to the same place as the stock motor? And everything else work like it should? Thanks again!

Also which motor would I need? Just one with a horizontal shaft coming out of the same side as the stock motor?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

yamaha motors have a taper
clones are strait shaft and need an taper adapter
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
georgia088
Gone Wild

So the only thing you have to do is modify the shaft to fit and everything else would be compatible? Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's a great idea.......... I've been thinking about a sawmill to work lumber for projects around here. I may have too think about making one myself. I have an extra G1 with no motor, but have an 8hp Briggs industrial engine that I already made the taper adapter for and have a clutch on.

I'd go with a 4 stroke for your build georgia.......More torque I'd think. And easier to get parts for as well as no need to mix the gas. Also quieter too. Least that's my 02 cents.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
georgia088
Gone Wild

Well I already have the g1 motor so I really want to get it running right. I feel like it will have enough power to power the sawmill, and I won't have to spend any $ on new motor. I think I have read that the g1 is around 11 hp. Is this correct? I do believe I am going to have to bypass the governor to get more blade speed, and I am worried how this will effect the longevity of the motor. What do yall think?
Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #10
express
Getting Wild

You could put a tach on it and keep it in the safe zone. I'm not sure what that is for your motor. I still think the gravity feed could be supplying too much fuel at low RPM's. Cool project
express is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha