lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 TXT reducer/buss/fuse location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
make a wiring chart to identify which wire goes where.
wilco!
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 AM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That chart thingy is super awesome! I will be printing & posting that in the shop for all to see (stop asking me "what wire to use!"). Its even better than the SOC chart. I'm putting it on the wire rack (many rolls of different color & gauge wire dispensary)!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That chart thingy is super awesome! I will be printing & posting that in the shop for all to see (stop asking me "what wire to use!"). Its even better than the SOC chart. I'm putting it on the wire rack (many rolls of different color & gauge wire dispensary)!
Technically, it leans a bit towards overkill, but overkill is underrated.

According to the chart, the high-current cables typically used on carts are far too small, but most people overlook the fact that the motors seldom draw the max amps the controller will pass. During hard acceleration from a standstill, the motor may draw 200A to 300A , or more, but when cruising the amp draw will typically be in the 50A to 75A range, so 4Ga is sufficient for 500A controllers or smaller and 2Ga is sufficient for 500A controllers and larger, unless you get into the really exotic stuff.

For example, the log file I saved while running a DCX500 and a D&D ES-76-51 motor on a max effort test run for about 15 miles over a mixed course of steep hills, city streets with stop signs and open fields, shows the max motor amps was 504A when accelerating from a standstill on 20% incline while the average motor amps while the throttle position was grater than 0%, was 85A.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #14
cgtech

Yamaha

Yep, i agree, slight overkill. And peak amps are never sustained too long.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #15
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And, so, what defines "critical" vs. "non-critical" circuits on this chart? Am I safe in assuming that overhead fans and LED light bars are not really critical circuits?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
And, so, what defines "critical" vs. "non-critical" circuits on this chart? Am I safe in assuming that overhead fans and LED light bars are not really critical circuits?
Small gauge wires have more resistance per foot, so they drop more voltage per foot per amp than larger gauge wires do.

Critical is calculated on a 3% voltage drop, while non-critical is based on a 10% voltage drop.

If your head and tail lights use incandescent bulbs, they might be a little brighter using the wire gauge listed as critical, but other than that the wire lengths will be so short that either critical or non-critical will work just fine.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #17
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the TecScan LED head/tail/brake lights, and an additional LED light bar.

One slight topic change, and I think I am ready to start the wiring phase. I was thinking of taking the yellow control wire out of the reducer and running it to a rocker switch, which would then power all of the remaining rocker switches. I pilfered this pic from an older thread, and was wondering if there are any concerns going this way rather than buying a new key switch and running yellow to there.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That will work.

However, you don't have to have a three position keyswitch. The third position is a separate set of contacts for switching 12V for the lights. The reducer's yellow wire is looking for switched pack voltage, which already exists with the two position switch you already have.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with using a separate switch for the yellow wire as shown in the diagram. That would allow you to run accessories without the danger of someone accidentally moving the cart.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
Easy solution... Take a black marker and draw a vertical line over the "non-critical" column. Now the wire size you should use will be more apparent...
Old 07-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #20
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Easy solution... Take a black marker and draw a vertical line over the "non-critical" column. Now the wire size you should use will be more apparent...
I like it! Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. Can't wait to wire it up and show off my new found knowledge!

Thanks,
Paul
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO