lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
EZGO_N_TAHOE
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: What burnt up???

So what do you mean by open F1 or F2 line? how do I test those and test the motor resistance? thanks for all your help!
EZGO_N_TAHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGO_N_TAHOE View Post
So what do you mean by open F1 or F2 line? how do I test those and test the motor resistance? thanks for all your help!
Open is the opposite of shorted. From end to end, a length of wire should measure a short. (Zero Ohms)

You can check the F1 & F2 cable and the field windings in the motor with one measurement. Disconnect the F1/F2 push-on type connectors from the controller and measure between the loose wires with an Ohmmeter.

If you get more than 5Ω (or so), measure each of the F wires from controller end to motor end. They should measure close to 0Ω.

Measure between the F1 & F2 studs on motor. It should be about 5Ω.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
EZGO_N_TAHOE
Not Yet Wild

OK guys, I finally got around to working on the cart again. I am trying to see if my motor is good or bad.....so I disconnected the 4 wires to the motor. A1, A2, S1,S2. I did a continuity test (so I think!) and these are the readings I got. When I turned on the meter to the correct position it read 177, when I touched the tips together it read 180....... when I tested A1 & A2 it read 178... when I tested S1 & S2 it read 177....when I tested A1 & S1 it read 177 and A2 & S2 it read 177 So does this sound like I did it correctly? and if so what do you think about these results......thanks for the help
Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I think you need a new multi-meter. The Ohmmeter function, on the one you have doesn't seem to be working.

What Make/Model is you meter?
Please post a picture of how it was set when you got those Ohm readings.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #15
EZGO_N_TAHOE
Not Yet Wild

Here is the setting I was informed to use. Maybe it is the incorrect one.meter.jpg
Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

That spot is for diode and continuity tests. You want to use 1 spot to the left, where it says 200. Reset for some new numbers for Johnnie.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #17
EZGO_N_TAHOE
Not Yet Wild

So if I use the spot that says 200 the reading just keeps going up and up. If I use the spot that says 2K it starts out at .044 and each time I take the probes off and retest, it keeps giving higher and higher readings. This is on the A1 and A2 connections.....I get no readings when testing the S1 and S2 connections. I even put new batteries in the ohm meter and the same results.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Like tag50 said, wrong setting for measuring Ohms.
The meter itself is adequate for nearly all electric golf cart troubleshooting needs. In fact, I have a Innova 3320 (Auto-ranging version of the 3300 family of meters) that rides in my cart with me when I'm out and about.

The minimum reading on the 2K scale is 1Ω and the maximum, reading is 2,000Ω. When you short the test lead tips together, it should display 0 and when you touch the test lead tips to the S1 and S2 studs, it should display about 5Ω, maybe a few Ohms higher or lower, but no more than about 10Ω.

You should get about the same readings between A1 and A2.

When you say it you get no reading when measuring between S1 and S2, what does it actually display? All zeros, or a "1" or the letters OL, or does the display go blank?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #19
EZGO_N_TAHOE
Not Yet Wild

When testing the S1 and S2 posts, I get a "1" on the meter. Nothing changes.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGO_N_TAHOE View Post
When testing the S1 and S2 posts, I get a "1" on the meter. Nothing changes.
The "1" means an above scale value or something greater the 2,000Ω if you are on the 2K range.

Your Field windings are open, confirming the error code on the controller.

Hopefully the motor didn't take out the controller when it died.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO