lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
Sleezy81
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question G2 won't run when hot.

My G2 has developed a problem of losing power and just not wanting to run when hot. You can ride the cart for probably 10-15 minutes before it will begin to act up, just long enough for the cart to get hot. When it acts up, it completely loses power. I won't stall completely, but it will just barely go and won't pull an incline at all. When you manage to get the cart home and let it sit for several hours until it completely cools down then it will run ok again, aside from backfire, for about the same amount of time until it acts up again. I have been trying to fix a backfire on the cart, so I have replaced :

Carburetor
Carb Spacer
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Air Filter Box Lid and Seals

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the cart won't run now ? I forgot to add that the ignition coil seems to be doing OK as well. I am down to igniter or an internal problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sleezy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: G2 won't run when hot.

Disclaimer, I have a G1 and not a G2 the latter I know nothing about so this may be 100% off base. Still, when I got my my G1 on the road it had the exact same issue in that it would run great until hot, it would continue to run fine when hot so long as you didn't stop, if you stopped the cart wouldn't start again until it cooled off.

With some help from Spicy, my issue narrowed down to a malfunctioning relay that is intended to delay starting the cart to allow for shifting between F and R without harming the cart. The heat or current or something was shutting that relay off until it sat for 15 mins or so. I bypassed it and all has been good since.

Anyone have any clue if G2s have a similar delay relay? Again, this may not apply to your cart at all but I thought I would throw it out there.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Sleezy81
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It will run, but just at a crawl. And no power at all, it won;t even pull a small hill.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Are you sure it's even running Oris it just the starter turning over? When it starts acting up pull the spark plug out see if you have spark or if the plug is wet
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Sleezy81
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It will run really slowly, maybe like 2 MPH if you are lucky. WE changed the plug out last night and it looked OK. Do you mean the starter just turning over enough to propel it at a slow speed ?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleezy81 View Post
It will run really slowly, maybe like 2 MPH if you are lucky. WE changed the plug out last night and it looked OK. Do you mean the starter just turning over enough to propel it at a slow speed ?
Yes the starter will roll it over and and make the cart creep really slow you need to get it to run the the 10-15 minutes and as soon as it dies pull the plug and see if it's wet or dry that will tell us if it's field or spark related problem and we can help diagnose from there
Old 07-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
Sleezy81
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK I will do that tonight and follow up in the morning.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Sleezy81
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

UPDATE: Pulled the plug just now after hot soak and the plug is dry.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
joe66fb
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Dry plug means no fuel.

I had a similar problem on an a car. Problem was that my fuel tank vent was plugged and after running a while would pull a vacuum on the tank that the pump could not overcome. After a few hours the tank would eventually lose the vacuum and would run great again until vacuum developed...

After it happens, loosen the gas cap and listen for a "whoosh" of air sucking in. Then try starting again. New vented gas cap on my car solved the issue. Not sure where the G2 vents.

Just a thought - easy to try. Hope it helps.

Joe
joe66fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe66fb View Post
Dry plug means no fuel.

I had a similar problem on an a car. Problem was that my fuel tank vent was plugged and after running a while would pull a vacuum on the tank that the pump could not overcome. After a few hours the tank would eventually lose the vacuum and would run great again until vacuum developed...

After it happens, loosen the gas cap and listen for a "whoosh" of air sucking in. Then try starting again. New vented gas cap on my car solved the issue. Not sure where the G2 vents.

Just a thought - easy to try. Hope it helps.

Joe
Agreed there's a one way vent valve on top of tank you should be able take it out and suck air through it if it's not plugged
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha