lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Mcmurray12
Not Yet Wild

Angry 1997 electric 48v club car charging not charging my batteries?

Hi everyone. New to the site. Looking for some help.
I recently purchased a 1997 club car from the original owner. It's very clean, however it will not charge when hooked up to the charger. The owner said it charges the week before. He was moving across country and didnt want to take it with him. So I believe him when he says he d idnt have a problem with the charger. I took it to a shop about 45 minutes away and had it tested on another cart. The charger worked fine.
When I plug it into my cart it does nothing. I checked the two fuses I could fine and checked continuity and they're good. What else can I do before I spend $800 on batteries or $345 on a OBC.? Thank you in advance for the help.
F.y.i. the wires on the receptacle seem tight also. No corrosion.....
Mcmurray12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 1997 electric 48v club car charging not charging my batteries?

Your OBC has probably failed and is not signaling the charger to start. Bypass it for a test and that will prove it. Look for the fuse on the back of the charger receptacle that you normally plug the charger pigtail into. Find the black wire that comes from the fuse and runs to the OBC (may run inside the harness for the OBC). Run a 10 gauge jumper wire from that same place (OBC side of the fuse) and to the main pack negative (-) battery post AND you need to run the grey sense wire to the same main pack negative post. Then plug the charger in. If it does work and shows amperage then the OBC is bad. You can leave it like this while you decide if you want to replace the OBC or purchase a new DPI accusense charger and leave out the OBC. You will have to watch the pack voltage and cut the charger off manually when you reach ~61-62 volts.

Good Luck!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Your OBC has probably failed and is not signaling the charger to start. Bypass it for a test and that will prove it. Look for the fuse on the back of the charger receptacle that you normally plug the charger pigtail into. Find the black wire that comes from the fuse and runs to the OBC (may run inside the harness for the OBC). Run a 10 gauge jumper wire from that same place (OBC side of the fuse) and to the main pack negative (-) battery post AND you need to run the grey sense wire to the same main pack negative post. Then plug the charger in. If it does work and shows amperage then the OBC is bad. You can leave it like this while you decide if you want to replace the OBC or purchase a new DPI accusense charger and leave out the OBC. You will have to watch the pack voltage and cut the charger off manually when you reach ~61-62 volts.

Good Luck!
Hello NoleFan,

I've been searching BGW for the charger receptacle wiring changes needed when I remove the OBC and start using the DPI Accusense 17 amp charger I ordered from Scottyb. I can't seem to find it anywhere but I know I've read about it here.

I know I need to run the black wire directly to B-. What about the gray wire? Do any other changes need to be made?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

This http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...excel-obc.html is what you were looking for. It covers series, regens, etc.

If you remove the OBC altogether and use a DPI or similar, the grey "sense" wire will no longer used. If you were trying to use your OEM charger for the interim, you would need to land it to the pack negative also.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
Mcmurray12
Not Yet Wild

Lightbulb Re: 1997 electric 48v club car charging not charging my batteries?

Thank for the reply bud. I order a replacement obc and it will be here tomorrow. I spoke to a buddy that is a mechanic for a multi million dollar about replacing my batteries. He had suggested I just replace the 6 8v batteries with 4 12v deep cell batteries. This would save over 600$ with new batteries. He said it doesn't make a difference in the batteries as long as it's 48v in the end. It makes sense just wasn't sure if it would affect the charger or motor? Thanks again in advance.
Mcmurray12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The OBC algorithm is a little different between 8v's and 12v's, but not enough to effect it negatively.

Your pans and hold downs are set for 6x8's and not 4x12's. Although I have 4x12's and am a proponent of them, my cart came with them.

And no way it is $600 difference. There would be a minimal difference in price. At most $100 or so.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmurray12 View Post
Thank for the reply bud. I order a replacement obc and it will be here tomorrow. I spoke to a buddy that is a mechanic for a multi million dollar about replacing my batteries. He had suggested I just replace the 6 8v batteries with 4 12v deep cell batteries. This would save over 600$ with new batteries. He said it doesn't make a difference in the batteries as long as it's 48v in the end. It makes sense just wasn't sure if it would affect the charger or motor? Thanks again in advance.
Don't listen to your buddy! There is a big difference in "deep cycle" and golf cart batteries. Run times will be reduced by probably half or more. The price difference shouldn't be $600. Shop around, I sell batteries and could sell you 6 - 8 volts for under $600.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmurray12 View Post
Ask you man the difference between golf cart batteries and just deep cycle batteries. If he tells you not enough to worry about, you need to do some research and so does he.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car