lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #21
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 91 G9 sputters and dies - stumped!

Awesome news! Zip ties work great for the air box lid as far as the paint goes all i did was scuff up with scotch brite pad,clean with rubbing alcohol and spray use the fusion paint made for plastic.
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2018, 10:51 PM   #22
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks. Update to the update... it was advertised wrong and is not an OEM ignitor. It drove great yesterday but today drove about 10 feet and died. No spark again. Junk.

I give up lol. I saw a post about using a Chrysler ignition module and ballast so picked up the parts for that today. Wired up that tonight and built a connector so it is plug and play and fired up instantly, no problem. Spark is better than Ive ever seen. I'm gonna run this and see what happens. Worst case I'm out $30 for the parts. But on a short test drive tonight it runs great. Hit it with a timing light and it is advanced exactly the same as it was with the other coil... I'm not looking for a race car here just something to haul stuff around the farm. Fingers crossed :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #23
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ok update, had a long day yesterday at work and didn't get home when it was still light enough to take it for a test drive. Took it for a drive just now to go get the mail... fired right up and runs GREAT with the chrysler setup. I found the thread with the info for the chrysler ignitor hard to follow, so drew my own diagram and posted it at the end of the thread. Hopefully this helps other people in my situation, and saves someone spending a few hundred $ for an OEM ignitor, or $150 for a POS junk chinese trash worthless-not-even-as-a-paperweight aftermarket ignitor.

I did think I lost spark once after I was really riding it hard down the driveway (which is really bumpy, and about 1/4 mile long). It died and wouldn't do anything so I popped the seat open and found the spark plug wire laying on top of the head. D'oh! Plugged it back in and it fired up without missing a beat. Note to self: buy another new spark plug :) Right now it's running on whatever I had laying around that fit, maybe a BPR6es or even a Denso something or another I had floating around... The new 2ES I bought rolled off the work bench and busted when it hit the floor. I broke the carb boot as well... (my fault). I JB welded it back together just to get me by until the new one I ordered yesterday shows up in the mail. It's pretty solid and well sealed, i coated the outside where it wasn't quite sealed with some ultra-gray to make sure i didn't have any leaks. It'll work for a week until the new one comes :)

I haven't touched the governor and doubt i will. There is about 2" of adjustment I could tighten that 10mm down on the governor but GPS clocked me at 17mph going down my driveway to the road (22" tires on it now, left over from a previous project). That's plenty fast for what i'll ever need, this thing will never see pavement anyway. Somewhere down the road I may have to fabricate my own suspension system for it. I've got an entire Kawasaki Prairie behind my workshop (minus the engine) and may adapt that front suspension/a-arm setup over to the buggy to better absorb the bumps and stuff, it's a pretty rough ride! I've got a welder and plenty of parts I could cut up...

I'll keep rolling with it like this and hope it keeps working. but so far, for $32 (After taxes) I couldn't be happier with the ignition conversion. Plus lifetime warranty, so if I smoke something, O'reilly is only 20 minutes away and they keep the ballasts and ignitors in stock :)

Now that I feel like I've really got it running right, time to fabricate some bumpers, cargo racks, and make a seat back, and then finally paint. There's 1 TINY little crack under the back seat in the plastic about 3/4" long, but I'll just plastic weld that and it'll be good as new. Otherwise the body is perfect, just ugly. Some day I might put a roof on it, but it will always be stored inside the shop
Old 05-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #24
timoswear
Not Yet Wild

I am having the same problem.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
timoswear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #25
timoswear
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoswear View Post
I am having the same problem.

Can you let me no exactly what to get from auto zone?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #26
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The Autozone near me pretty much sucks. If you want something flashy/shiny/fakechrome it's the place to go. If you want a real part, the only places around me that usually have anything are either NAPA or O'Reilly. O'Reilly is convenient for me to get to so that's usually where i go for everything.

Anyway, you'll need very few parts.
A ballast resitor https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...dge/dart?pos=1

Ignitor https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...dge/dart?pos=0

Some female bullet connectors (for connecting wires to the ignitor), some female spade connectors, and some butt connectors. (or solder/heat shrink).

I used the red/white for power, the white/red pickup and white/black pickup from the OEM ignitor connector. If you cut the wires off of the OEM connector, make sure you cut AT LEAST a couple inches away from the connector. Give yourself some room to work with, should you ever want to go back to OEM. I ran my own wires to the ignition coil (+) and (-) and ran my own ground wire to the ignitor itself. I just piggybacked another ring terminal on top of the existing one at the solenoid, as that wire goes straight back to the battery anyway.

There is a thread here about using the chrysler ignitor but I found it incredibly difficult to follow and vague... So I pieced what I could out of that post and it didn't work. Rewired a few things and ultimately got to what he was trying to explain, just not very clearly. I created a quickie diagram yesterday that may help you once you get the right parts :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chrysler Module Diagram.jpg (69.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
timoswear
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:37 AM   #28
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Nice cheap fix.. its a shame when MFG. sale an item for $400 that has about 5 bucks worth of components in it, I always look for a cheaper, better way.. for some people its no sweat to shell out that $400 for the quick easy fix, but for others this type of work around is great and affordable.. they should have a whole thread on fixes like this for the DIY.. and people like us love that youtube...
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #29
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmonkey17 View Post
Nice cheap fix.. its a shame when MFG. sale an item for $400 that has about 5 bucks worth of components in it, I always look for a cheaper, better way.. for some people its no sweat to shell out that $400 for the quick easy fix, but for others this type of work around is great and affordable.. they should have a whole thread on fixes like this for the DIY.. and people like us love that youtube...
Ultimately I was about to pull the trigger and buy the $300 from partzilla until I read the thread and said "it's worth a shot for $30". But had a real hard time mostly because it's difficult to justify spending $300 for a part to fix a cart I only paid $350 for. I'd sooner drop a gy6 or something in it and have a brand new motor... but now it drives great. Occasionally it will backfire when I stop, or stumble for a mi Ute when I stop and run itself in reverse for 2-3 seconds. But that's prob carb adjustment and I'll iron that out when the new spacer shows up.

Only issue I have now is the throttle is REALLY touchy from a stop. Engine starts great and it's pretty jerky when it launches, after that it's fine. Maybe need to look at the clutches or it may be the belt I had laying around I put on from a Kawasaki Prairie. It was about the same size and in much better shape than what came on the cart but may be a shade smaller... but little issues to deal with now that it runs :)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #30
Sparky06757
Not Yet Wild

Were you able to get the pig tail that mounts to the igniter from them as well? If not how did you attach your wires to the igniter? The coil + and - that you hooked the wires to, is that the starter solenoid coil?
Sparky06757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha