lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Canuck2400
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Reed switch problems

Hello all -- I'm brand new at this, I had a 2007 EZGO cart given to me
problem is the wire harness and the controller were burnt-- I have installed
a new Curtis controller and solenoid along with a new ignition switch -- after
all that, still nothing when I try to get it going . I have read on some threads here that the reed switch sometimes fail, the switch on my cart only has the
two heavier wires that go to the batteries, and there is only one other wire
its a smaller red one that goes to the controller , is there anyway to check the switch -- all others switches I've read about have 2 wires to connect together
to bypass the switch, sorry if this is a repetitive question but look forward
to some help
Canuck2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reed switch problems

The white and black wires are your charging connections. The red wire checks to see if you are plugged in and charging.

Take the red wire and make sure it is connected to a switched voltage source. Make sure you know that when you do this there is nothing stopping you from driving off while plugged in.
VanillaXtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Canuck2400
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the response--- not a problem making sure it isn't plugged in, I have to climb over charger to get to the cart --- thanks again, I'll try and decide where to connect it.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It doesn't have to be a switched voltage source. A lot of people takes it directly to the main battery+ post.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

That's essentially what I did. I removed the reed switch and connected a ring terminal to the red wire and connected it to pack+ inside the charger port.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
Canuck2400
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Does it seem right that there isn't a reed switch in the charging block, other than the cables that go to the batteries, there is only one red wire which goes to the controller, or does than mean the switch is in the controller? -- sorry if these are crazy questions, but I just spent a thousand dollars on replacement parts and don't want to blow anything----- thank you again for your help
Old 06-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm not sure I understand you about the red wire. If you have a reed switch (they were eliminated sometime after my buggy) you would have a red wire coming from the charger recepticle, along with the white and black wires which go to the batteries.

Do you have a wiring diagram? They can be found in the stickies.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
Canuck2400
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

If it quits raining, I will go out and check--I kind of think the guy that gave me the cart might have already bypassed the switch, and that's why it doesn't match anything I've seen here, if that's the case--- sorry to bother you guys, if not I'll have to try and find out why it won't go when everything except the motor is new-- thanks again
Old 06-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck2400 View Post
Does it seem right that there isn't a reed switch in the charging block, other than the cables that go to the batteries, there is only one red wire which goes to the controller, or does than mean the switch is in the controller? -- sorry if these are crazy questions, but I just spent a thousand dollars on replacement parts and don't want to blow anything----- thank you again for your help
Picture-1 is the way your cart came from factory.

Picture-2 is how many people bypass the reed switch and it sounds like your this was done to your cart.

My 2008 cart came from factory with a small pigtail fuse in place of the reed switch.

What drive system do you have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle - Reed Switch.JPG (73.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
Canuck2400
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The wiring diagram I have, and the videos on the Internet all show a small red and small black wire along with the 2 that go to the batteries, I'll check the wiring diagrams here--- thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO