lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Chrisx88
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Torque

Whats up everyone? First time poster, been lurking in the back for awhile.

Picked up a G1 for cheap other day. Main use is to move jetskis around while im working on them. I just completed a custom lift on cart to help with hauling them, so the hitch isnt so low.

The engine is weak, needed crank seals and a top end. I did seals quick just to drive it around (Cant believe it didnt blow, seals were blown for a good number of years). I really really want to keep reverse. But i also like the duromax 16hp motor. So my question. Before i drop $300 on a top end, and $300 on a new secondary, Does this 215cc engine have enough torque to pull a single jetski trailer around? Skis ranging from 600lb - 1k lb.
Chrisx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Torque

Welcome. Before you dump $ into china aftermarket crap, give Don a call. He's an expert when it comes to all things Yamaha. Top notch stuff. Seriously. Tell him how you will use the cart, and he can set you up.

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts_g_1.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Welcome. Before you dump $ into china aftermarket crap, give Don a call. He's THEexpert when it comes to all things Yamaha. Top notch stuff. Seriously. Tell him how you will use the cart, and he can set you up.

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts_g_1.html

And corrected.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Chrisx88
Not Yet Wild

Well theres not much you can do to this junk stock motor. Its either i put money into it to bring it back to top notch life, or i sacrifice reverse and swap to a duromax.

So..Does the stock motor have enough torque to pull a single jetski around?
Old 12-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Seriously, call Don. He will guide you to exactly what you need to make it work how you want it to work. I wouldn't sacrifice reverse, just not worth it.

Your only other option may be make this one work and look good, sell it and get a G2/G9 with no motor or blown up motor and put a Duromax in that. G2/G9 reverse is built into the transmission.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Chrisx88
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Seriously, call Don. He will guide you to exactly what you need to make it work how you want it to work. I wouldn't sacrifice reverse, just not worth it.

Your only other option may be make this one work and look good, sell it and get a G2/G9 with no motor or blown up motor and put a Duromax in that. G2/G9 reverse is built into the transmission.
Ive been all over Clist and there is nothing around here for carts. Was a miracle to find this one for a steal, and i still talked him down to half what he was asking.

I will get a hitch installed this weekend, and hook up to my jetski. If it can pull it being half dead (Top end is shot, secondary is beyond gone), then i will revive engine.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts.c...1517586808&v=2

He knows his stuff. And on top of the motor, clutching will make all the difference in the world. Like having 2.72 gears vs. 4.56 gears in a truck. Build the motor, go with the right clutch setup and you could pull anything it will hook up to. Just keep in mind the more low end towing grunt you go for, the more you'll lose on top end speed.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx88 View Post
Well theres not much you can do to this junk stock motor. Its either i put money into it to bring it back to top notch life, or i sacrifice reverse and swap to a duromax.

So..Does the stock motor have enough torque to pull a single jetski around?
Freshening up and all its still an 8hp engine. You can do a small over bore and deck the head and with some jetting get a decent power upgrade. Ive pulled a an 8 ft trailer with some stones in it ok but definatly not up hill. if your going up hill get a 4wd 4 wheeler.

Where do you live. I ask because if you live up north you may have access and maybe able to swap in a Bravo 250 sled engine and keep reverse. mind you tuning the clutch and carb are required.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...lockin-g1.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
Chrisx88
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
Freshening up and all its still an 8hp engine. You can do a small over bore and deck the head and with some jetting get a decent power upgrade. Ive pulled a an 8 ft trailer with some stones in it ok but definatly not up hill. if your going up hill get a 4wd 4 wheeler.

Where do you live. I ask because if you live up north you may have access and maybe able to swap in a Bravo 250 sled engine and keep reverse. mind you tuning the clutch and carb are required.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...lockin-g1.html
If i have to go into boring / porting / decking, rejetting just to get enough power to move trailers around, its not worth it. Ill just swap in a 4stroke motor and deal without reverse.

I live in NY and trust me, ive searched for enticer 250 and bravos and theres nothing. I really really do not want to loose reverse. I need to be able to back trailers into the shop.

Top speed is not an issue. I have many other toys to get an adrenaline fix. This cart is mainly to move trailers, look good, and cruise around the cottage in thousand islands.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx88 View Post
If i have to go into boring / porting / decking, rejetting just to get enough power to move trailers around, its not worth it. Ill just swap in a 4stroke motor and deal without reverse.

I live in NY and trust me, ive searched for enticer 250 and bravos and theres nothing. I really really do not want to loose reverse. I need to be able to back trailers into the shop.

Top speed is not an issue. I have many other toys to get an adrenaline fix. This cart is mainly to move trailers, look good, and cruise around the cottage in thousand islands.
the stock engine should have no problem moving a trailer in and out of the shop.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha