lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
grantspec
Getting Wild

Default G9 timing issue

Hello all,

My g9 has this problem where it will run but will bog and not make much power until thoroughly warmed up. I checked the ignition timing with the light and it seems like it is not advancing at all when cold (firing right at TDC). I’m thinking this is probably a problem with the ignitor but it seems odd that it starts running normally after driving for a bit. Any ideas or other things to check?

Anyone have a spare ignitor that they would like to sell?

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grantspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 timing issue

They are not cheap. Usually when they fail they stay advanced all the time and do not retard at low rpm. They go full advance at 2800rpm iirc. They can get worse or do that when hot and be ok when cold....both weather temp and engine temp. Some of them short out inside and you move the plug around they work or not. There is not much you can do with them other than swapping it out with a good one to test them or checking the wiring. Its common to have bad grounds and connections on these carts. The grounds are all wired there is no frame ground other than the engine, its all wired to battery negative or the solenoid negative.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
grantspec
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
They are not cheap. Usually when they fail they stay advanced all the time and do not retard at low rpm. They go full advance at 2800rpm iirc. They can get worse or do that when hot and be ok when cold....both weather temp and engine temp. Some of them short out inside and you move the plug around they work or not. There is not much you can do with them other than swapping it out with a good one to test them or checking the wiring. Its common to have bad grounds and connections on these carts. The grounds are all wired there is no frame ground other than the engine, its all wired to battery negative or the solenoid negative.

It looks like you can get a new aftermarket ignitor from a few places for ~$120. Do these work ok?

grantspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantspec View Post
It looks like you can get a new aftermarket ignitor from a few places for ~$120. Do these work ok?

No!

Stay far, far, far away from those. They are complete JUNK. Trust me, I learned the hard way.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Don't throw away your money on aftermarket ignitors!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha