lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default D&D motors, any luck with them?

Three cars from a scrapyard (customer bought them at auction), all three have dead D&D high speed motors installed. Open A1 A2.

The usual luck of course, we read the numbers to D&D, they deny they made the things and make claims some third party used their name since the serial and part numbers never match up in their system and FSIP refuses to touch the things.

Are they reputable or garbage?
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2019, 12:30 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: D&D motors, any luck with them?

So, were the brush holders melted, allowing the brushes to lean out?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ve used several brand new D&D motors and haven’t had a problem. I have one in my personal cart as well. Now you’re scaring me :-|
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
davewil@mc.net
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I love my D&D motor in my 2007 pds, txt converted to 48 volts. Had to limit controller power to allow only 25 mph on flat roads to not over rev motor beyond 6000 rpm. Still do 18 mph up moderate hills. Motor details below.
davewil@mc.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would be nice if You can post a picture of those "fake" D&D motors in case there is a recognizable difference in labels so other folks can avoid them.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My customers had really good luck with their series motors... not so much with the sepex motors which ended up costing me a considerable sum to replace.
Never heard of counterfeit D&D
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

D&D makes some great sepex motors, but if the field map installed in the sepex controller weakens the field excitation below D&D's recommended field weakening limitations map, than severe overheating occurs and the motor burns out if it is abused that way for extended periods of time.

The minimum recommended field amps for my D&D motor is 3A when the armature is drawing 100A or less, a situation that occurs when spinning at/near its max RPM. With a 42V battery pack and 3A of field current, my motor spins at about 5500 RPM for 22MPH with my 17" tall tires, but I have a field map that takes the field amps down to 1A and the motor will spin at nearly 7000RPM, so the cart's top speed is over 28MPH. Of course, the motor rapidly gets too hot to touch (over 200°F), so I've RPM limit the motor to 6500RPM (about 25MPH) and the Field amps stay 3A or above most of the time.

----------
In the summer of 2013, Vic at D&D was reluctant to provide me with dyno performance results and other technical data on my motor even though such information had been provided to others in the past. He never came out and said it, but he eluded to their designs being copied, so the existence of counterfeit D&D motors doesn't surprise me.

Love to see some pictures of the fakes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO