lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
Gigaquad
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller options

We just joined the "Cart club" with an Ez go Shuttle 2x2 36 volt. The controller is bad. Currently it has a 400 amp Alltrax SR-48400 that blew while going up an incline. I'd like to not have this happen again. Should I go up to a higher amp version or is a different brand a good idea?

Also, is there any sort of fire prevention I can do to make sure we don't overheat things in there? We've heard that they can get too hot and catch fire after a few hours of use.

Thanks!
Gigaquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller options

going with a 48500 would be a good idea....personally, that's what I would have gone with to start with, AND sticking with a Alltrax would be the thing to do as well.

on top of that, I would check all of your high current cables and wiring for any signs of over heating.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As far as fire suppression, there isn't a lot you can do besides preventative measures. You can check your high current cables like Sir Nuke said. But that's about it.

The motor and controller can get hot, but the danger is to those components. If a fire is going to happen it'd most likely be from a short, a bad cable or a bad connection.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Gigaquad
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys! I'll go with the 500 this time. One more thing, the brake comes on every time we turn very far to the left. Is that a safety feature or some kind of problem?
Old 09-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Gigaquad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaquad View Post
thanks guys! I'll go with the 500 this time. One more thing, the brake comes on every time we turn very far to the left. Is that a safety feature or some kind of problem?
No reply so i'm guessing that's not normal. I'll get on that next after the controller gets installed.

Is there anything dangerous I need to look out for when installing the controller or is it just "rip out old, plug in new" like a car alternator?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

first off, disconnect power......then swap them out, ensure you know where EVERY wire goes before you disconnect the first one. take pictures if you need to....use wire markers if you have the.....once its all done. power it up and go.

if you haven't bought it yet.....I highly recommend you get it from cartsunlimited and ensure you tell scotty exactly what you have and when you get your controller it will be set-up so its truly a P-N-P install.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The brake thing is probably a driver side brake cable that is too short for a lifted cart. Check to see if the driver's side brake cable is as tight as a banjo string. If so, replacing it with the longer cable meant for passenger side will solve it .
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
Gigaquad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
first off, disconnect power......then swap them out, ensure you know where EVERY wire goes before you disconnect the first one. take pictures if you need to....use wire markers if you have the.....once its all done. power it up and go.

if you haven't bought it yet.....I highly recommend you get it from cartsunlimited and ensure you tell scotty exactly what you have and when you get your controller it will be set-up so its truly a P-N-P install.
Thanks! I bought it already. I did get some stuff from CU, but in the case of the controller it was less expensive at another place (by $26).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech
The brake thing is probably a driver side brake cable that is too short for a lifted cart. Check to see if the driver's side brake cable is as tight as a banjo string. If so, replacing it with the longer cable meant for passenger side will solve it .
Thanks! I'll check that too while i'm in there.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What is the manufacture date on the controller?
I ask because it has a 2 yr no questions asked warranty.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Gigaquad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What is the manufacture date on the controller?
I ask because it has a 2 yr no questions asked warranty.

Hi Scotty! I won't know until it gets here on Tuesday.

On a related note, I just checked my coil and it's a White Rodgers 70-120224, which seems to only be rated at 200 amps? Seller said it was a 400amp option.

I may need to post pictures of the cart itself at this point and see if I even have a EZGo Txt Shuttle. There's no serial ID plate.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO