lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Dreaded Yellow Light

I have a 2013 Precident remanufactured in Dec of 2016, batteries are Trojan 875
Manufactured nov 2016, the charger is a small charger labeled Club Car part # 940-0008. All has been great, plug cart in whenever it is not in use. Lately the yellow light has been coming on very early,( actually my typical day would never cause it to come on). It came on yesterday with the pack voltage being 49.6.
My charged batteries are as follows. 8.65 8.64 8.62 8.53 8.66 8.60 and the pack is 51.9 on the multi meter and 50.9 on the onboard digital meter. Does all seem ok? There must be a reason the light has been coming on, should I change the yellow light? Seems like it started a few weeks ago when I washed the cart and got the light real wet, actually the light was on the moment I finished the wash and it stayed on the many hours till it dried out
Does this cart have an OBC? I have read that it should be reset periodically, I have searched how to reset it, what I found has not been real clear on the steps, should it be in run or tow, what about the reverse rocker?
I spoke to customer service a5 Trojan and the very helpful person said the batteries seem on point, she did not know anything about the cart or it’s functions.
Should I try buying a new yellow light from Revolution and begin there? Or should I put some electrical tape over the light so I can’t see it :)
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Dreaded Yellow Light

The part number you listed is for an ERIC charger. The serial number you listed is for a 2013, which should have had an OBC unless it was an experimental cart. The ERIC carts weren't in true production until 2014. It's also possible they put all new stuff in it in 2016 when they refurbed it. The yellow light is not the issue. The yellow light is controlled either by the OBC (if equipped) or the ERIC controller on the car (If equipped). The best thing you can do is to look under the seat on the aluminum panel on the back of the battery compartment to see if it has an OBC. If it has an OBC and you're charging it with an ERIC charger, that could be your issue. The OBC would have to be bypassed to use the ERIC charger, and in this case the OBC cannot monitor charge data and it may be triggering the yellow light to come on. Once we find out what you've got, we'll be able to help you. Until then, it's just a guessing game.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you David, I will check about weather I have an OBC. How do I find it and what does it look like? As I say all has been good up until this point. The dealer when selling me the cart switched out the standard motor to a D&D high speed motor, would that still be a regen motor. If not is the cart still a regen cart? Do the pack and the individual battery voltages seem ok? Again thank you so much for your help, you are an amazingly valuable resource to this forum
Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If it's a Factory reman. cart, it seems to me they probably replaced the controller and updated it to the ERIC controller.

The ERIC charger has a charge profile that is specific to the PD+ batteries that CC installs at the factory. If the battery brand or type is changed, the charge profile in the ERIC charger needs to be changed as well to match those batteries.

Download the DeltaQ IDAT software and use that to read data from the charger and verify that the charge profile is correct for your batteries.
If the Profile is not the correct one, the charger can over or undercharge the pack and shorten it's lifespan.
From others posting info here, using trojan batteries with the factory loaded profile results in very high water use by the batteries, which can cause shorter battery life.

https://delta-q.com/software-accessories/

For Trojan batteries you should be using profile #3. Most of their documentation lists profile 1, which is a temperature compensated algorithm and requires a temp sensor on the batteries, which the standard ERIC charger does not have. If the charger is not set for Profile #3, download and install the correct profile to the charger.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would like to add that this is the time of year for batteries to fail. Once the temps get in the thirties you can expect battery problems. Look at all of the new posts and close to half of them are about batteries.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The part number you listed is for an ERIC charger. The serial number you listed is for a 2013, which should have had an OBC unless it was an experimental cart. The ERIC carts weren't in true production until 2014. It's also possible they put all new stuff in it in 2016 when they refurbed it. The yellow light is not the issue. The yellow light is controlled either by the OBC (if equipped) or the ERIC controller on the car (If equipped). The best thing you can do is to look under the seat on the aluminum panel on the back of the battery compartment to see if it has an OBC. If it has an OBC and you're charging it with an ERIC charger, that could be your issue. The OBC would have to be bypassed to use the ERIC charger, and in this case the OBC cannot monitor charge data and it may be triggering the yellow light to come on. Once we find out what you've got, we'll be able to help you. Until then, it's just a guessing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post

The controller has a label that has the Club Car logo, on the label it has the car serial #, and the controller serial # 639776, then on the body of the controller written in sharpie AP.11.29.16. That makes sense as I purchased it just a few weeks later. I do not think it is remanufactured by club car, the dealer has dozens of cars purchased from club car, I believe these are golf club cars off lease and sold to the dealer which are then rebuilt. The negative pack cable disappears into a hole in the controller, this is what is speaking to the OBC is it not? As I say all has been good until a few weeks ago, should I reset the OBC and how exactly do I go about that? Should I order a new yellow light from revolution carts and start there?
Old 11-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefili View Post
...snip...The negative pack cable disappears into a hole in the controller, this is what is speaking to the OBC is it not? As I say all has been good until a few weeks ago, should I reset the OBC and how exactly do I go about that? Should I order a new yellow light from revolution carts and start there?
If the black cable you are speaking of goes into a hole as shown in the first picture then you have an OBC and the cable is going through the OBC to the controller (note that the black cable in the picture is coming from a shunt for my meter - without that meter the cable comes from the negative post of the last battery).

IMHO it sounds like you have a cart which was originally an OBC cart but it has had the OBC bypassed as part of the refurb and has been supplied with an ERIC charger. Does your charger look like the second photo? I agree with the comments from FairTax4Me.

Instructions to reset the OBC are here:http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...c-updated.html. This is one of the stickies at the top of the "Electric Club Car" page. However, if your OBC has been bypassed then this will have no relevence.

There's no need to order a new yellow (amber) light, it is doing its job. If it lights then it is working. The light is just a light, it gets controlled from elsewhere.

If you bought from a dealer why don't you ask him for details of what was done when the cart was refurbed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190216_181850 1024 with OBC label.jpg (191.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ERIC.jpg (30.0 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the response, the charger in your photo looks like my charger, my controller or OBC does not look like your photo, I do not have the OBC as shown, the black negative cable goes into the front of the controller housing at a much lower point and just appears to go through a hole in the front. As I say up to this point all have been great and working perfectly, I wish I knew how to post photos, that would make this much easier
Old 11-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as You have a White Controller and not a Gray one, You are fine.

Water on the light would not make it come ON since it uses a High Side driver, so it needs +48v.

The Pin in the Controller that activates the light is #11 (Blue/Yellow wire), the pin right beside it, #10 (Tan wire) is +48v from key switch so if You get water on the controller connector is possible to get the light to activate.

Otherwise it is an indication the voltage is getting too low as You are driving the cart and the batteries can not deliver the current being demanded.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As long as You have a White Controller and not a Gray one, You are fine.

Water on the light would not make it come ON since it uses a High Side driver, so it needs +48v.

The Pin in the Controller that activates the light is #11 (Blue/Yellow wire), the pin right beside it, #10 (Tan wire) is +48v from key switch so if You get water on the controller connector is possible to get the light to activate.

Otherwise it is an indication the voltage is getting too low as You are driving the cart and the batteries can not deliver the current being demanded.

Thank you Sergio, yesterday I stopped at my selling dealer, he said to ignore the light, Of course that is not the correct course of action. Most confusing thing is the light has come on when the pack voltage was at 49.6 after a few mile run, I think that definitely should not be the case. How can I check the output of the charger, the charger is outside all the time under a cover, but non the less outside. As I say, things have been perfect with whatever charger that came with the cart until a few weeks ago, charger is a small light weight one that says Club Car on it, seems to be an Eric charger although I have not Found that name on it anywhere. And the selling dealer was of no help other than telling me to ignore the light. All batt voltages seem to be great and I have been fastidious in water and charging whenever car is not in use.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car