lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default EZGO Workhorse / Jacobsen Build

I came upon two carts for a good price. One of them is a keeper. I've always been a fan of EZGO carts since they are easy to work on, simple, plentiful, and lots of parts available. This thread is the official build of the newest member of my fleet.

The cart is a Jacobsen 1110 work cart, aka EZGO Workhorse. I like this cart because it was made for work. It has a factory dump bed, trailer hitch, and a long wheelbase. The engine is the 350cc Subaru Robin twin, should be decent enough for a yard cart. Hoping the engine will run, might need rebuilt - we shall see.

Model #84024 0023
Engine #EH35C

The plan?

1. Lift kit - maybe 5" drop axle?
2. 20" turf tires/black steelies with hubcaps
3. Electric bed lift - linear actuator
4. Cab enclosure? if I can find one for reasonable $
5. Front cowl conversion - ST350 style?
6. Windshield
7. Headlights & tail lights
8. Turn signals, brake lights
9. LSV registration?
10. Radio of some sort
11. Work lights
12. Rooftop yellow light

I plan on using this cart around the house. My other cart is too much of an off roader and has too big of a powerplant to be useful around the house/yard anymore, my wife won't drive it lol. So, this one will be perfect for that. I've always wanted a decked out work cart that's street legal, so this will be the goal.

Here are some pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jacobsen green 3.jpg (187.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Jacobsen green 1.jpg (149.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Jacobsen green 2.jpg (175.6 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
j13smiley
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO Workhorse / Jacobsen Build

Subscribed...
j13smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Today I hotwired the ignition switch (no key) and got the engine to fire up without any modifications or part replacement. The choke cable is removed, not sure why, so I had to hold my hand over the carb to choke it. It runs, not well, but it runs. The generator works and charges. The clutches shift. There is a strange noise coming from the engine during an occasional backfire/hiccup. Not sure what that's about. It sounds like metal. It runs smooth and quiet, then it will make a backfire sound out the carb that is accompanied by some clanking type sound, it's very strange. Then it quiets down again. Thinking I'm looking at pulling the engine for disassembly and inspection.

I also noticed the rear suspension is resting on the "bump stops". So I'm thinking the leaf springs are shot. I'll add that to the repair list.

While I was checking things out under the bed/seat I saw that there are holes in the frame and holes in the bed for a linear actuator. I looked up some photos and videos where some of these models came with the electric bed lift option. I think I can find an aftermarket linear actuator and make the bed electric dump fairly easily.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

OK, Slonomo,
Im following this thread, i am sure Trig and Stovebolt will be here too, to help in any way we can.

If you have the 4 connector Keyswitch, i wonder if it started out life with the ST style cowl and has been replaced with that buggy one? as you say it has the wiring loom also! although i am sure the EZGO badged version of the 1200 MPT usually came with the standard bugggy cowl. I could be wrong!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:16 AM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
While I was checking things out under the bed/seat I saw that there are holes in the frame and holes in the bed for a linear actuator. I looked up some photos and videos where some of these models came with the electric bed lift option. I think I can find an aftermarket linear actuator and make the bed electric dump fairly easily.
I'm pretty happy with the manual dump bed on my Cushman. One of the nice things about the manual dump is the dump bed is locked in place resulting in the bed not squeaking much when going down the road. If you are planning on doing a lot of dumping with the cart, then an electric dump may be helpful.

I'm interested in following your build ... looks like a nice project
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
OK, Slonomo,
Im following this thread, i am sure Trig and Stovebolt will be here too, to help in any way we can.

If you have the 4 connector Keyswitch, i wonder if it started out life with the ST style cowl and has been replaced with that buggy one? as you say it has the wiring loom also! although i am sure the EZGO badged version of the 1200 MPT usually came with the standard bugggy cowl. I could be wrong!
My 2000 model Refresher cart that I bought a few months ago (same as MPT 1200 ) has the metal dump bed with plastic liner is just like your cart.

Mine also has the TXT front cowl and it does look factory so I assume some of these carts did indeed come from factory with these TXT front cowls.

These heavy metal dump beds are a pain to raise and also very dangerous if you don't put a board or something under them when working on cart. I can raise fine but my wife can't. If I took it home I would be on the lookout for the electric actuator where my wife could use it. Heck, for a project I may do it anyway in the next few months.

Someone before me had just installed the two terminal switch. Wires for lights were in there but I guess because both headlights were blown they just put the 2 terminal switch in it.

I got the four terminal switch from country cat and got everything working like it came from factory.

I am also following your build. Should be a fun project.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just did a couple of image searches on google. It looks like all the MPT 1200 ezgo's had the ST cowl and the Jacobsen 1110 haulers were supplied in both forms with either TXT cowl or ST style depending on year of manufacture. It looks like yours being the later style steering and axle, could possibly have been the ST style!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I appreciate the info guys, and the follows.

I have a cart already with a manual dump bed. The bed itself is nice to have just to tote things around, ie chainsaws, tools, materials, mulch, etc and so forth. The thing is I have serious back issues and anything that I can automate in my life is a better thing. This bed is very heavy duty and is not really balanced as well as my current cart, so I'm imagining more effort using it manually. Thus, electric conversion. I know they came that way so they must work ok. I don't use the dump feature often, but if it's electric, maybe I will lol.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ok so the front plastics.....You know I'm ok with the TXT style, especially if I get the light kit for it. I suppose if I came across the ST style I'd upgrade if the color matched and it wasn't outrageous. Definitely won't be spending $700 on one lol, since the whole cart was less than $400.

So, for now, the goal is to get it running and driving.

What are your thoughts on the 350cc engine? I had a TXT back in the day, 2001 I think, with the 295, and it was a dog. I mean it was smooth and quiet, but it really didn't have any power to speak of. I did end up putting a power spring and hd belt on it, then lift kit and tires. I liked the cart, but the engine was not really anything to get excited over.

What are the options for rebuild? Performance? I'm not looking for Vanguard power here, just some better power. If it's 13 hp stock, can I get it up to 18 or 19 with standard hot rod mods? Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Also, is it true that if the exhaust manifold is rusty (cast iron) that this engine is a "pre MCI" engine? If so, what does that mean? Is that a good thing?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO