lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Default Lithium Battery Upgrade

I have a 36 volt EzGo stretched out cart. I upgraded it to an AC powered system and added two batteries in the bagwell. So it is now 48 volts. I want to upgrade to Lithium batteries. The two most popular brands seem to be Allied and Dakota. Dakota recommends 4 - 12 volt batteries wired in series. Allied recommends 4 - 48 volt batters wired parallel. I could even go up to 6 of them. Is one way better than the other as far as run time and power? My local cart guy recommends neither of those and said he uses 48 volt battery packs by Evolution batteries. So I have it narrowed down to three choices. I am welcoming any thoughts or comments as far as run time, battery life, quality of brands and 48 volt vs 12 volt. I am not much of an electric guy. Price is not an issue. I added the links below. If that violates any rules please let me know and I will delete the links. Thank you in advance.

https://dakotalithium.com/product/da...t-battery-set/
https://alliedlithium.com/products/g...31999092588611
https://www.evolutionelectricvehicle...ries/#48v110ah
rhinomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Lithium Battery Upgrade

I got the Roypow pack and have been extremely happy. There have been others come out since that I would have looked over. See this thread. I believe all come with charger and volt meter. Plug and play.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=173142
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just installed one from BigBattery.com, their PTBL model. Really happy with it so far. I can actually pop the front tires off the ground now.

A friend just installed the alliedlithium batteries. That is more of drop in replacement. And you can just keep adding batteries until you get the runtime you want.
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

The Dakota looks like it will only be 100amps continuous... for a big cart....

The allied is probably 180amps + continuous, but I couldn’t find the spec.

The evolution has a data sheet you can check, but it wouldn’t open for me on mobile.

With all these different lithium backs by many vendors, make certain and check the voltages and continuous current. Often they are just 1C (1xamp hours) and people are having issues with some tripping the bms. On the voltage, some packs get listed as 48v max vs 48v where the max is 50+. They will all make a d
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Are these battery packs drop in? Take out my old batteries, drop in the lithium pack, hook up positive and negative cables and I am ready to go? Or is it a little more complex than that.
rhinomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Roypow was easy, drop in, hook positive and negative up and go. Comes with voltmeter and charger. Love it! I did install digital voltmeter meter in dash.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post
Are these battery packs drop in? Take out my old batteries, drop in the lithium pack, hook up positive and negative cables and I am ready to go? Or is it a little more complex than that.
The Allied Lithium look just like lead acid, so same wiring and battery tray will work.

The others, such as the BigBattery.com PTBL I have needs some kind of custom tie down, but the connection is very easy. Just one positive and negative coming from the battery.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I did install digital voltmeter meter in dash.
Just a voltmeter? Or a capacity meter? I installed this volt / capacity meter that tracks the amp hours. Works well.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
Naples Native
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattadata View Post
Just a voltmeter? Or a capacity meter? I installed this volt / capacity meter that tracks the amp hours. Works well.

Can you post a link where you got this from? Very interested.
Naples Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples Native View Post
Can you post a link where you got this from? Very interested.
https://amzn.to/2PszJht

I also tried other kinds with the hall effect sensor, but those didn't work well. This one is the hardwired shunt type.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO