lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
cbm25
Not Yet Wild

Default How to wire up a 36V EZ-GO motor for testing

I have a 36V motor pulled from a 1979 EZ-GO Marathon. I am a college engineering student trying to use the motor to build an electric motorcycle. I need to test the motor to ensure it still functions. The motor itself has four terminals- does anyone know specifically what each terminal corresponds to? and subsequently how I should wire it up for this application? I have browsed through the forum and have seen many people point to the following link:

http://www.empinc.biz/tech_support.p...troller_series

However, I don't know which terminals on my motor correspond to A1, A2, S1, & S2. If anyone has any insights it would be greatly appreciated!

My motor is the same as this one:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...r-photo_sm.jpg
cbm25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How to wire up a 36V EZ-GO motor for testing

assuming that is a series motor...
2 posts connect to the brushes/armature (A1, A2)
2 posts connect to the field coil (S1, S2)

8V to 12V should be sufficient for testing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor_test.jpg (128.9 KB, 11 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Every early motor case is stamped Look closer or scrape some dirt off of it.... It should be: ( but no guarantee and absolutely no liability assumed)
0=A1
1=S2
2=A2
3=S1
You must verify this by finding one or more markings on the motor before applying power.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

These motors are unsupported at the drive end. you will need to make a plate that can carry a bearing for this. Electrically, do everything " scottyb " says! In my IMHO, a cart motor is not what you need for your application! It is heavy and needs a ton of juice to run it! There is no room on a bike to put the batteries that are necessary!
I'd be looking at starter motors for vehicles. Although these are made for intermittent duty, I have seen them used for a lot of different applications and hold up just fine. They also take a smaller battery capacity.
Good Luck on your project, it sounds Cool! :)
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO