lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #51
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS Slower after Alltrax Install

Wow! I'm usually pretty good at spotting things in photos, but I sure did missed the cables from solenoid to B+ and from motor to M- being reversed.

I'm not sure how it even ran connected that way.

Glad the photo of my DCX400 install helped solve the problem, even though it was posted for entirely different reasons.

------------
I'm curious as to why the Alltrax rep said the B+ cable from the solenoid to the controller and the B+ cable to the motor should both be on the controller's B+ terminal. When both cables are on the solenoid's controller side large terminal, only the Armature current flows through the long cable to A2 on the motor and the Field current plus controller housekeeping current flows in the short cable to the B+ terminal on the controller.

If the two cables are on the controllers B+ terminal, total current flows through the short cable instead of being split. That is a less efficient way of connecting the cables, but Alltrax may have a valid reason to suggest it.

-------------
I don't remember you mentioning what your tire height is, but you have the potential of over-revving your motor, especially at 48V in the low (20:1) range.

Measure your tire height, the numbers stamped on the sidewalls is a group size and can be way off the actual height.

Ask PQ what the max recommended RPM for your motor is.

With that information, we can determine the max allowable speed is for the High (10:1) and Low (20:1) gears.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #52
alwaysinagm
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I don't remember you mentioning what your tire height is, but you have the potential of over-revving your motor, especially at 48V in the low (20:1) range.

Measure your tire height, the numbers stamped on the sidewalls is a group size and can be way off the actual height.

Ask PQ what the max recommended RPM for your motor is.

With that information, we can determine the max allowable speed is for the High (10:1) and Low (20:1) gears.
Funny you should mention this - I was going to post this as my next question to you ... what would my rpm be at 30 mph with the 10:1 gears and my 21.5" diameter tires (actually measure out 21.5", sold/labeled as 22")?? My math says 4,690 RPM - wanted a second opinion.

Also, PQ recommended 4,000 as a max RPM, as that is what they test them at. I'd like to interpret that as a max 'sustained, working' RPM . I can't imagine me ever being able to hold 30 mph for any amount of time with the bumpy city streets and (mild) hills in my town. I would think as long as I keep it at/under 5,000 peak RPM I'd be fine. Thoughts on this??
alwaysinagm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #53
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysinagm View Post
Funny you should mention this - I was going to post this as my next question to you ... what would my rpm be at 30 mph with the 10:1 gears and my 21.5" diameter tires (actually measure out 21.5", sold/labeled as 22")?? My math says 4,690 RPM - wanted a second opinion.

Also, PQ recommended 4,000 as a max RPM, as that is what they test them at. I'd like to interpret that as a max 'sustained, working' RPM . I can't imagine me ever being able to hold 30 mph for any amount of time with the bumpy city streets and (mild) hills in my town. I would think as long as I keep it at/under 5,000 peak RPM I'd be fine. Thoughts on this??
Like I mentioned, the size on the sidewall is very, very, very approximate.
My tires are marked 18" and Carlisle website states the mounted diameter is 18.3", but I measured the rolling circumference with me on the cart and got 17' 10-1/8" in four revolutions, so they are actually only a whisper over 17" tall. (They also measure ~17" with a yardstick and level)

----------
Your math is correct, or at least agrees with the math in the spreadsheet I constructed.

4,002 RPM @ 10:1 = 25.6 MPH
5,003 RPM @ 10:1 = 32.0 MPH
6,004 RPM @ 10:1 = 38.4 MPH

However, only half those speeds in the low gear range.
4,002 RPM @ 20:1 = 12.8 MPH
5,003 RPM @ 20:1 = 16.0 MPH
6,004 RPM @ 20:1 = 19.2 MPH

I'm not sure what PQ does to the motors they redo, but I routinely spun a stock PDS motor over 6K and would probably still be doing it today had I not tried to find out how fast I could go downhill with my foot on the floor.

It was spinning over 8k and doing fine, until I lifted my foot and the regen braking kicked in.
The armature exploded (taking the controller with it), seizing the motor and I slid to a stop leaving two long black stripes on the pavement and a short single brown stripe on the seat cover.

Eric at D&D recommends a 6,500 RPM max for my motor while Vic at D&D says 6,000, so I try to keep it under 6.5k and succeed most of the time.
Since the only smooth level surfaces around here tend to be city streets with 25 MPH (or less) speed limits and I coast down hills these days, I very seldom spin it faster than 6.2K.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:37 PM   #54
Hlouviere
Not Yet Wild

Hi everyone. Not sure how old this thread is but this is the only one that has any info close to my situation. I have an Ezgo 36v with a 500 DCX controller. I recently purchased the cart and know nothing about it. Cart goes 10 mph. The person I bought it from stated that they used to add in a 12v to make it 48v and drag race it. Hoping that something wasn’t fried. I’ve done all the test that johnnie and Scotty mention in this thread. All seem to fall within range. Hooked it to laptop with the program and getting 100% throttle. It also takes off really fast in reverse. The only thing I can think it may be is the current 200amp solenoid. Ordered one from scottyb which came in today. Will install this week and report back. But if there is anything else I need to be looking out for please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hlouviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO